Question regarding pool skimmers in new build

Bvo

Feb 24, 2013
We are building a 14x30 (15,700 gallons) gas-heated rectangle pool with salt water in Kansas City with 4ft shallow end and 6ft deep end with auto cover. My builder has allotted 4-5 jets, 1 skimmer and 1 bottom drain. However, he's telling me they've started shying away from bottom drains because without one there is less leak chance, better suction and less obstacles for auto cleaner. He's recommending we drop the bottom drain and go with 1 or 2 skimmers total. He acknowledges there might be a subtle temperature difference in water depth without the pool drain but it won't be too severe since the deep end is only 6ft. Anyone have thoughts on skipping a pool drain? Will I need to add a 2nd skimmer or can I get by with just 1 skimmer if I don't have a pool drain?

Many pools do not have floor drains. I think I would want 2 skimmers though ... one on the prevailing downwind side and the other opposite. You can always point the return jets down some to better mix the deeper water.

Are you trying to save money by not getting the 2nd skimmer? Because I would think the builder would just swap out the drain for a skimmer at no cost.

I have a bottom drain and I like it. There's no temperature stratification and a lot of times I can just use the brush to sweep stuff towards the drain and let it get sucked away rather than messing with the vacuum. If you have an auto cleaner, it's probably unnecessary.

On the other hand, if you need to drain down the level when closing or you foresee Calcium buildup problems, a separately valved bottom drain would be a big help emptying the pool.

do a search on custom skimmer lids
8618450998_d0921b0431.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.