Re-surfacing pool - should the pool builder do the startup?

I thought I had settled on a pool builder to resurface my 25 year old pool. Planning on going with Noble Custom Exposed Aggregate in Mediterranean... but, the pool builder just let me know that he will not be interested in doing the start up on the chemicals/brushing. He is about an hour away and said that he doesn't have a guy that he can dedicate to coming here every day.

I really wouldn't have thought that much of it if I hadn't been reading here, but my gut is telling me that is a problem. Is this a problem? I am able to do the brushing, but the pool is new-to-me and I don't know about trying to keep the chemicals in line on my own for that crucial period.

Is this a deal breaker or am I over reacting? Thanks for your thoughts!

Re: Re-surfacing pool - should the pool builder do the start

Don't panic, it's no big deal. Check with the builder and see if they have a set of recommended levels that have to be met for the warranty. If they do, get a copy of them and get out your good test kit and you'll be set. Also see if they require a pool store test to ensure warranty.

Once you have the instructions, keep a record of every action you take (brushing, testing, adjusting, etc.) so you have proof.

Like I said, it's no big deal. It's really just normal maintenance with extra brushing. :)

After reading stories here, I think I'd prefer the way your builder suggests. No one cares more about your pool than you. And you'll avoid the one-size-fits-all method of treatment that a lot of builders use.

Well I talked to the pool builder and he said that I would have to contract the start up with another company in order for anyone to be responsible for any problems with the new surface. When I questioned him about who would be responsible him or the other guy, I got a lot of himming and hawing... leading me to believe that no one would be responsible. So I think this means I start over again looking for someone to resurface. I never dreamed this would be so hard.

Yeah, I'd back away from that one. If he provided you with a set of parameters that you could maintain that would be different, but sounds like once he's done, he's done and wants to lay whatever happens on someone else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.