Newb Pool Tester - Just want to make sure its not way off

Feb 26, 2012
Okay as the subject title suggests I am a Newb Pool Tester - Just want to make sure its not way off.

I just got my Taylor k2006 kit in. I have a ~10000 gal SWG pool, these are the test results (after i cleaned my salt cell and cartridge filters yesterday)

CYA - 0 (is this possible?)
FC = 4.6
CC = 0
pH 8.0 (5 drops of something to get it to 7.2 - acid demand test)
TA = 170 ppm
Calcium Hardness = 400 ppm
Salt 3100 ppm

Do these seem like they are plausible, i guess my question is, anyway these are "impossible?"

Re: Newb Pool Tester - Just want to make sure its not way of

i guess my question is, anyway these are "impossible?"
Not at all. CYA only occurs in the pool if you put it in.

Lower your pH down to around 7.4 or so, although it sounds like you already intend to.

Your other results are quite "average" and that's good!!

There are a couple of articles in Pool School that will help you learn the correct ranges your tests should yield.

Have you been supplementing with bleach before that test? With 0 CYA, I would be surprised that the SWG could actually generate enough FC to register and not be destroyed completely by the sun very quickly.

Jblizzle, full disclosure, i had a pool service taking care of the pool up until about 7 weeks ago. After that i hadnt done anything to the pool. Except when i took a sample to the pool store and they reccomended the following 40lbs salt, a bag of shock and a pint of muratic acid. I blindly listened to them this was about a week ago.

Yesterday i cleaned the salt cell and cartridge filters and then today was able to try out the new test kit.

That is correct. What is your water temperature?

Certainly seems like the first thing you should do is get some CYA dissolving in a sock in front of a return. Maybe initially aim for 40-50ppm and then test a week after it is dissolve and then adjust higher for the SWG levels.

Get some CYA in there and watch the FC, it is likely to drop quickly in the sun, so be ready to add bleach as required to keep the FC above the minimum for the amount of CYA you add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Alright so here is what i am planning to do based on your feedback and data entered into poolcalculator.com. Please let me know if i should ignore or focus on certain things first.

FC is currently 4.6 will try to get it to 4, which might occur naturally when adding stabilizer (73oz in a sock in the skimmer) to increase CYA

pH is 8.2 will try to get it to 7.5, poolcalculator.com reccomends 30oz of 31.45% -20degree baume muratic acid. Is this a special kind of MA? Also will increasing CYA naturally lower pH?

CYA increase from 0 to 50' poolcalculator.com reccomenda 73oz of stabilizer

Increase salt from 3100 to 3400 adding 28 lbs of salt

Thoughts?

Also thank you all for your responses, its is very much appreciated

The CYA may let the pH some, but you definitely want to get the pH down and the CYA up. Until the CYA is dissolved, keep FC above 2ppm. After, keep the FC above 3ppm.

Confirm the CYA level and add more to get 70ppm and dial in your SWG.

I guess before you raise the CYA up much, we should confirm that the water is clear and there is no sign of algae? Also likely should run the OCLT to determine if you need to go through the shock process before raising the CYA above 30-50ppm.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Jbliz, what do you mean by "...and disk in your swg."?

The water is very clear. Will plan to do then oclt test.

Also we just (hours ago) had a very hard steady rain, should i be concerned with results being drastically different or will my treatment plan still be accurate.

Disregard the rain. Get your CYA up to 50 for now.

You will need to manually dose with chlorine and turn the SWG off when you do the OCLT. Post back with questions.

An additional questions regarding my SWG pool. Right now the AquaLogic PS8 is reading 3100 ppm salt. Which is in the correct range. This is also based on the fact that the Salt Chlorinator is set at 95% (for pool ) Spa is 50%.

Am I doing harm to the SWG by having it at 95%? I'm not sure that I even understand what 95% means. 95% full strength?

The % is the % of time that the SWG is generating (has nothing to do with the salt level).

You can adjust the amount of FC generated by the pump run time and the % setting.

What size cell do you have? It is rare that you would need such a high % unless your pump run time is pretty short.
Actually, you likely have to have the % so high because your CYA is so low and you are losing all the FC to the sun. Once the CYA is in the water, you should likely be able to reduce the % to maintain the same amount of chlorine.

The more you use the cell, the shorter the lifespan.

alright 2nd round of tests:

All i did since last time was add 4lbs of stabilizer

FC = 6 (previously 4.6)
CC = 0
pH 8.0
TA = 160 ppm (previously 175)
Calcium Hardness = 375 ppm (previously 400)
CYA = 35 (previously 0)

Next step? Add more stabilizer? Add MA? any idea why FC might have jumped? just an FYI I have not waited the full 7 days since adding the CYA waited 4 days (what can I say I was excited to see what would happen)

phoenixtx said:
alright 2nd round of tests:

All i did since last time was add 4lbs of stabilizer

FC = 6 (previously 4.6)
CC = 0
pH 8.0
TA = 160 ppm (previously 175)
Calcium Hardness = 375 ppm (previously 400)
CYA = 35 (previously 0)

Next step? Add more stabilizer? Add MA? any idea why FC might have jumped? just an FYI I have not waited the full 7 days since adding the CYA waited 4 days (what can I say I was excited to see what would happen)
FC increased because the SWG is making it. And you must have some CYA in the water, so the FC is not disappearing as fast as it was, hence it goes up. I plugged the CYA into Pool Calculator and it said CYA would go up to 44 (bottom section, effects of adding chemicals). Anything below 30 won't read. so it's a bit premature to panic about that.

pH definitely needs to be adjusted. 20° is an archaic chemistry term equal to 31.45% concentration. That's pretty standard. You might find some weaker stuff out there, where you're paying top dollar for water. But whatever strength you end up with, plug that into Pool Calculator and it will tell you how much to add.

Some of the number variations can also be due to technique. With practice you'll get more consistent.

4 lbs of CYA should have raised it by 40+ppm ... so it looks like you are heading the right direction. I might add 2 more pounds and give it a week and test again. That should get you close to 70ppm.

I would lower the pH. If you have not changed the pump run time or the % setting, the FC could be higher because there is now some CYA in the water protecting the FC from the sun (or has it been less sunny?). Like I mentioned earlier, once you have the CYA, you will likely need to reduce the pump run time or the % setting ... as you are now seeing. I would reduce % setting to keep the FC right around 5ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.