Newb Pool Tester - Just want to make sure its not way off

Re: Newb Pool Tester - Just want to make sure its not way of

I changed the % pool chlorinator from 95% to 60% 5 days ago and since my salt ppm has steadily dropped from 3300 ppm to 2900 ppm. I tested the salt today with an aquachek test strip and it reads as having 3640 salt ppm. So i'm not sure where i'm at on the salt. Believe the test strip or the aqualogic ps8 sensor readout.

i've bumped the chlorinator up to 70% to see if it affects it any.

As far as pump run time it runs from 9AM- 5PM. to short to long?

As I said previously, the % setting does not affect the salt level ... as your statement seems to imply. The only thing that matters is the level that the SWG thinks so that it keeps generating. But, keep watch if the SWG reading gets lower and lower. That could indicate a cell starting to fail.

You just need to run the pump long enough to keep the dirt filtered out. For some that is 3 hours, for others it is 8 hours. Likely you could reduce the run time some and be fine.

As jbliz said, keep an eye on it, but % should have nothing to do with output. If the swg is happy with the salt level, then I wouldn't worry about it now. How is your FC level? That is the reason to go up and down in run time.

phoenixtx said:
As far as pump run time it runs from 9AM- 5PM. to short to long?
Neither, as long as you run long enough to get the appropriate amount of FC in your pool, beyond that only run as long as you need to be happy with your water clarity.

Alright i've been doing okay getting the TA down and also getting the pH down by continually adding MA, then aerating to get the pH back up.

I've gotten the TA down to 110 from 160 and gotten the pH down to 7.4 from 8+. The issue is my FC is creeping up along the way. I went from 4.6 to 8.8. I'm concerned about this. When my FC was 4.6 I also had 0 CYA so I had added stabilizer a few weeks ago and got the CYA up to 60. The FC is continuing to go up.

What should I do?

Thanks

Lower the SWG % output or shorten the pump run time. Then you will not continue to raise the FC. This just proves that having CYA in the pool allows the SWG to work less to maintain a similar FC level.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Ive dropped the Chlorinator % from 70% to 40% and the run time from 7 hours to 4 hrs. We'll see if that helps to lower the FC. The reason i had it that high to begin with was cause i noticed the salt reading on the Aqualogic PS 8 kept dropping (3100> 2900 > 2800)

Are they mutually exclusive?

As mentioned before, the % setting has nothing to do with the salt reading. If the salt is indeed lowering as confirmed by independent testing, you might should be looking for a leak.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jbliz, thanks for that response. I've learned something new!

I do not believe I have a leak, as the water level has been consistent all week. I've continued to read and have seen that the Salt read-out on the PS8 may not be as accurate when the water is 70 degrees (which it has been). I have tested the salted with the aquacheck strips and it's been reading between 3400-3600 consistently with teh 3 tests that I have done, so I am hesitating on putting any more salt in.

Great to know the "Chlorinator %" and run time is what generates and affects my FC. As stted above I have lowered the % and decreased the pump run time and will test in a few days to see how it is affected.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.