Best way to plumb suction/return lines

Jan 16, 2013
Taxachusetts
Hi,

New pool build underway.

I have 2 skimmers with homerun pipes and dual main drains off of 1 pipe.
I have 6 returns.

The filter is a Pentair DE will multiport valve.
The pump is a Pentair Whisperflow 1.5hp.

My previous pool had dedicated valves on each suction line, but no valves on the returns.

I wanted to have a suction side manifold, with each having a dedicated valve.
I also want a return manifold, with each having a dedicated valve.

It's all homerun plumbing except for the main drain.

Is there a schematic showing proper termination into the manifolds and where in the manifold the suction/return side connect?

Google is failing me in my search...

Thanks

Not sure what you mean about termination into manifolds ... and the suction / return manifolds do not connect to each other (as your question seems to ask).

You will just have 3 pipes coming up from the ground that T together into a single pipe to the front of the pump.
Then after all the equipment you will apparently T into a set of 6 pipes for the returns (which seems a little excessive to me, but certain gives you control).

You could post up a drawing or what your are thinking about to see if that clears up the confusion about your question.

Here's how it was plumbed at our previous pool.

Wanted to see if this is correct or if there is a better way to do this.
I'm thinking valves on the returns, but that might be overkill.

8614060215_88310595dd_c.jpg

8615172056_6c37833e05_c.jpg

First I would not use the PVC ball valves and instead use the proper Neverlube-type pool valves (either Jandy, Hayward, or Pentair).

There are many ways to do it. Never seen that method before with the use of a cross coupling. Usually I have seen the valves on the vertical pipes. There is also usually a recommended minimum straight pipe leading into the pump which your picture does not have.

So all 6 returns go to the pad separately? I guess you could put a 2-way on each of them.

Here is a thread when I re-did my pad. I need to update with the solar loop completed.
pump-plumbing-solar-questions-t40185-60.html#p366842

On the suction side you would either do 3 2-way valves or 2 3-way valves (one to select floor vs skimmers and the 2nd to select which skimmer ... you could use 2 2-ways on the skimmers)

When combining/splitting multiple pipes it is a good idea to use a larger manifold so the change in water velocity is not too excessive. Ideally, you want to keep the water velocity the same but that is not always practical. Stepping up to 2" is sufficient but 2.5" would be better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.