Pool Heater Turn On ?

Gary R

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
Hi to all;

Opened pool today :-D and water temperature is at 42 degrees. Pool boy said to wait until the water temperature is 50 degrees to turn on heater to prevent condensation. Heater manual indicates that if heater is turned on below 50 degrees it should run continually until water temp. reaches 50 degrees. Sounds like both are accurate but just wanted to confirm.

Thanks for any info.

Gary R.

Your facts are correct, but like Richard320, I don't understand why you would want to turn on the heater right now. The warmest it might be able to get the water is around 60 to 65 degrees, maybe a little more, until the weather warms up some more.

Thanks for the usual good responses.

It going to be 80 degrees in my area over the coming weekend so was hoping to get pool heated but probably a bit premature on my part. Will put the solar cover on wait for Mother Nature to do her work.

Regards,

Gary R.

20,000 gallons = 165,000 lbs of water. So 165,000 BTU per degree. Or, to convert to $$$,
1 therm = 100,000 BTU Check your gas bill to see how much you pay per therm.

1 degree rise (in a perfect world, everything 100% efficient, no heat loss to evaporation or warming the concrete shell) will cost you 1.65 * price per therm. I'd at least double that. 83 is a nice temperature for swimming... Do the math - it's whenever you can afford to heat it!

For me, just heating up the hot tub for an hour or so ends up jacking my gas bill by about five bucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.