Spa light cable stuck

Apr 15, 2011
We have a 20 year old gunite pool and wanted to replace the pool and spa lights with a new LED unit.
Last year, the electrician easily pulled out the pool light (junction box a few feet from pool deck has 3 conduits, 1 to pool light, 1 to spa light (much further than pool light) and 1 to panel), but could not pull out the spa cable; felt like it was stuck and would not pull out from the junction box. The electrician commented that it could be broken conduit (we have never had anything else broken relative to the pool before - seems well built) but also he felt like there could be a junction box or otherwise underground and the light cable knotted inside it. He suggested we dig a little. Has anyone ever seen this before or have any other ideas?

(We only replaced the pool light last year after getting stuck and plan to address the spa light this year)

db

One easy thing to check, make sure the cable isn't epoxied into the back of the spa light niche (which you can access by removing the light). Presumably this has been checked already, but worth mentioning.

The most common problem (after epoxy in the niche) is crushed conduit, which requires digging out the conduit and repairing. I would be very surprised if there was another junction box, though anything is possible.

It is also possible that the cable is just regular stuck. If so forcing some cable lubricant through the conduit (generally done with water pressure) can help free it up. Unfortunately, this isn't all that likely to be the issue.

I had a similar problem last year when I switched to Jandy Watercolor LEDs. I used a garden hose with a little high pressure nozzle (Home Depot calls it a "sweeper nozzle" $2.97) and stuck it in the conduit at the junction box, with the water flowing towards the pool. It sealed fairly well inside the conduit and it was amazing what came out into my 25 year old pool. I was able to get the wire out after that. I still had issues getting the new wire in - but hopefully you won't. Obvious but necessary reminder - make sure all power to the junction box is off before going anywhere near it with water.
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.