Replacing Built in Cement Skimmer

Mar 3, 2013
Hi All: New Member / 1st Time Homeowner trying to fix my pool. I have a old pool with a built in cement skimmer. I had been losing a lot of water and jackhammered out the area around the skimmer and found a lot of wet dirt. I would like to replace but saw costs averaging $1200. I found skimmers for $70 but just looking for a little adivice or warnings. I have attached some pictures of the skimmer. Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

My current Project scope includes:

Digging out area around
Cut out piping Hook in new skimmer
Form around it with rebar pour concrete around and use the pool cement to patch in.

Questions I have are: Where do i set the skimmer? To the back of the current one?
I have noticed most skimmers have three lines running out but this looks like it only has two. Can I use it or do i need a special skimmer.

Thank you -

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 130
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 128
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 128
Welcome to TFP!!!

Not sure I am much help, but will at least bump this.

Actually I am not aware of any skimmers that have 3 pipes. Most have 2 and some only have 1. The ones with 2 have 1 pipe that runs to the equipment pad and the other either runs to an equalizer line (to a hole just below the skimmer) or to the floor drain or are just capped off.

Have you identified where the water is leaking out?

I saw a post on another thread that had three lines- 1 was the suction from skimmer to pump, 1 was connected to main drain and 1 was looped from bottom of skimmer to midline of pool wall below the skimmer. It was a safety suction line that prevented the pump from running dry if skimmer filled with leaves/debris or water level got to low. The third line simply sucked water from the pool halfway down.

Thanks for the info ... seems like overkill to have the floor and wall connected. The floor would provide the same "safety" feature as the wall with the use of the float diverter ... at least that is how both of my pools have been done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.