Hi! Bought new house fighting green pool!

gex598

Apr 1, 2013
Hi everyone! Just closed on a house and it had/has a swamp pool. The pool was dark green and after a local pool stores advice I added 20 gallons of liquid chlorine and some yellow or green out. At first the water actually cleared up some but it was still dark green looking. Now its kinda of a cloudy aqua color. I add liquid chlorine everyday to keep the level up. I have a cartridge filter and cannot vacuum to waste so every time I try to vacuum I clog the filter and lose suction. I tried to take the skimmer net and "scoop" out the stuff on the bottom (which I can't see) and had some success. What is coming out is a grey sludge. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• pool41.jpg
    pool41.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 164
  • pool331.jpg
    pool331.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 164
  • pool330.jpg
    pool330.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 164
First, you are going to need a good test kit. Either the K-2006 or TF-100 from tftestkits.net. While you are waiting on that, you should read up in pool school, and read some threads on defeating algae. For now, do you have any water results?

Welcome to tfp, gex598 :wave:

JohnN is right you need to get an appropriate test kit. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison I recommend the tf-100, it has the most bang for buck.

Once you have it you will be able to do the shocking process most effectively.

In the meantime post what test results you have and continue to dig out as much stuff of the bottom as you can. That will help a lot with since you will be removing organics that consume chlorine. As you have found out, cartridge filters are not real fun when fighting algae.

X2 what they said. My pool got away from me last fall, I'm in the same boat at about the same stage as you are now. I bought the TF100 kit last year, and it really is all it's cracked up to be. I have NO regrets about having spent the money on it. That, and the sand filter were the 2 best things I did for the pool.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Like the others have said, read pool school a couple of times, get the TF-100 (may want to go ahead and get the TF-100XL), once you have it in hand post a set of test results and we can see where you are now and where you need to go. Without a GOOD test kit you really are flying blind , and will likely waste a lot of chemicals and might even damage your pool there really is no substitute. While waiting on it read some of the swamp to clear pool stories so you will know what to expect.

Ike

Just a minor clarification. The TF-100XL is no longer available (kind of). Instead, we offer the XL feature (more reagents when you plan on testing quite a bit) as an OPTION you can add to the kit.

It's really the same thing at the same savings, you just can't find the TF-100XL listed as a single item on the website.

Ok so I have some test results these were taken this morning before anything was added. Added about 15-17lbs of alkalinity increased per pool place's advice. Hooked up and now have running a Great White cleaner.

Total Chlorine 5.0ppm
Free Chlorine 5.0ppm
Combine Chlorine 0.0ppm
pH 8.0
Acid Demand 15
Total Alkalinity 0.0ppm
Calcium Hardness 300ppm
Stabilizer 45ppm
Total Dissolved Solids 2400ppm

It's impossible to have an TA of 0 and pH of 8.0. Where did you get these results from? If pool store, you really should get your own test kit. Also, if your stabilizer is really 45, CL should never be below 6. If your pool is green, you are going to have to shock (with BLEACH ONLY) to a FC level of 16.

There results were from a pool store. The pool is not green anymore, its more blue now, just cloudy. Lots of grey dead organic matter in the water which I can see being kicked up when brushing.

In order to clear up the pool, you are going to:
1) Stop going to the pool store, and especially stop listening to their advice
2) Get a good test kit from tftestkits.net
3) Shock the pool according to the article in Pool School
You need to stop listening to the pool store, because their methods will be different from ours. Our method will definitely clear up your pool, and save you money, so long as you have some patience. If you want to clear this, you really need to get the test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're on the way.

The pool store was out of liquid chlorine the other day, but instead wanted to sell me powdered. When I said that it causes me problems by increasing my stabilizer levels, I was told it didn't have any. She promptly put a bag of dichlor in my hand. I promptly put it back on the shelf, went to Kmart & bought several gallons of 10% liquid in the pool department. Pool stores are good for some things, saving us money isn't one of them. They are there to sell product.

I'm following what I've learned here, and I think I'm still under or near $50 in bleach, add another $20 for stabilizer(from Home Depot of all places). Here's my thread:
i-thought-it-was-too-cold-for-algae-i-was-wrong-t55062.html

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.