First time testing pool after equipment problem.

Mar 16, 2013
Just joined after I have heard good things from my car forum. I am new home owner to a older home and pool. Had problem with Pool Filter and DE. Had Home Warranty come out and help me fix. Here is my first set of numbers. I want to make sure I did the test as per the directions so here I go. I have the Taylor Test kit. My pool looks really clear and good but numbers tell me different.

FC 4.4
PH 7.4
TA 150
CH 480
CYA 90-100

73 degrees outside.

Does this seem like I did the test correctly? It shows I should change almost 60% of my pool water but there is no way I can do that at this time. What do you guys think? Is there any other test I should run?

Lets double check the CYA test result. Given your CYA test result, when you started to fill the view tube, the liquid you were adding must have been white and cloudy and it didn't take much of it to completely block your view of the black dot at the bottom of the tube. If that more or less describes what happened, then you did the test correctly. One thing, if you just refilled the pool, then there is almost no way CYA could be that high.

All your other results are very plausible, though I wouldn't bother doing the FC/CC test by steps of 0.2. Use the 10 ml sample and steps of 0.5, which is plenty of precision for what you need and saves on reagents.

If the CYA level really is that high you have some challenges ahead. I strongly recommend replacing water to get the CYA level down.

Just to check, you have the Taylor K-2006, correct? Taylor makes a few different kits, but the 2006 is what we recommend. As for the CYA, it may be well above 100. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water and double the result. IF your CYA is 100 (and NOT higher, as it may be) you will want to keep the chlorine ABOVE 8 at all times. You didn't mention results for CC, so you should also do that test.

Thanks I have not replaced any pool water just added and i am doing that now. House was in bad shape and pool was so so. I had filter problems and our weather in CA the temp crept up quickly so the pool started to turn green and now it back to clear. Can I get the CYA down by running the pump longer or does that not have any effect? Not sure if you seen it but my CH is real high as well.

The only way to lower CYA is by draining water. Also, you do not want to use any stabilized (powder or tablet) chlorine, as they ad CH or CYA, based on the type. Based on your upper limit CH and very high CYA, you will only want to use bleach.

Your CH is high but manageable for now. Keep your ph in the 7.2 -7.6 range or so and you wont have any issues with CH.

CYA is your big problem. There is no way to remove in unless you drain and refill some of your pool. A 50% drain will reduce CYA to a manageable 50ppm.

If you do not drain, you must run your FC quite a bit higher.....about 7-10ppm for it to be effective.

Have you found Pool School. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" as a good starting point.

I just remeasured and I still am in the 100ppm so I did John said I used 1/2 pool water and 1/2 tap water and it came right out to 50ppm. Dang, how to most drain the pool? I am figuring my pool is around 23000 gallons. Do I just run a hose into the street and do it a couple of times during the week or whats the easiest way on the neighbors?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dalandlord said:
Is Reverse Osmosis filtering an option in his area if he lives in CA?

No not really, I have to either apply for a permit to drain or I can drain slowly through my outside laundry sink. The permit is not a bad option as it's not peak water season as of yet.

Well I am off draining the water and it will take at least a day. I have a 1/2 hp pump going into two garden hoses. When refilling the pool can I turn on the pump even though the skimmer will not be able to suck in any water and what would my next step to be? I have read based on searching is to start with bleach? Any suggestions?

djscotty14 said:
When refilling the pool can I turn on the pump even though the skimmer will not be able to suck in any water and what would my next step to be?

Only if you can isolate suction to the floor. Otherwise you have to wait until the water is above the skimmer. Next step is to fill the pool, circulate for at least an hour and then retest.

JohnN said:
Just want to check, do you know what your water table level is? If it is high, and you drain the whole pool, you risk floating the pool.

I am only going to drain about 50% or so. I live in Fresno CA so I am pretty sure are water table is not that high up. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.