New Home owner with a pool

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a new home a few months ago (Feb) and now with spring arriving with warmer temperatures I have started to research about in ground pools. I have never previously owned a pool so I don't know much, but I tend try to do things on my own before contacting a professional. Well I really don't want to screw anything up with this pool cause I am sure any repairs would be very costly. So I am here to ask is it feasible to open my pool on my own this year with the pool in its current conditions which I will post below and the other information is in my signature.

Now I am using the pool strips that the last home owners had in the pool house and it doesn't provide all the information that I am sure you guys need but it is a start.

Total Hardness - 0 - 50 ppm
Total Chlorine / Bromine - 0 ppm
FC / Bromine - 0 ppm
TA - Low 0 - 40 ppm
pH - Very Low 6.0

Water Condition: Very dark. Cannot see bottom and it smells like a sewer.
Pool condition: I have only had the cover off 3/4 of the way but the sides of the pool are not in very good condition. Some of the edging is coming off and I can see black residue where the water begins. It does look as if the pool was winterize due to the pink solution in the skimmer and from what I can see all the plugs are in the pool and filter. Also the water is about 6 inches below the skimmer, the filter is cleaned out, and all electric to the filter/heater is shut off. Another thing, as I am sitting here I am still not 100% sure what type of pool it is (Fiberglass, Vinyl, or cement) When I knock on the stair case coming out (at least the top step) is hollow. The sides feel like hard plastic when I knock on it.

I feel like this pool is in need of drainage and a extremely good scrubbing. I was quoted +-$300 to open it up this season and that includes chemicals, but I think it is going to be a lot higher when they come to see this pool.

Thanks in advance for any insight on my situation, and if you need anymore information let me know I can also post pictures if needed.

Brandon

What did your home inspector tell you about the pool? You have a lot of catching up to do. Read pool school at the top right of this page. You then need a water test kit. Get one that is recommended here. Soon someone here will give you advise on cleaning up your pool. Good luck. Soon you will be swimming in a beautiful pool.

Definitely need a better test kit. The strips are worthless. Go to tftestkits.net and order either the TF-100 of K-2006. While you are waiting for it, read Pool School a few times. If there is any solid junk on the bottom, you are going to want to get that out. After you get the good test kit, you will have to go through the shock process listed in pool school.

Alright, well I just ordered the Taylor K-2006 Test Kit. Looks like I am going to learn on the fly. Anything else I can do in the mean time to give you guys better information or help the process along or in order to continue I need accurate results? Ill continue to re-read the Pool School Guide.

Thanks,

Brandon

I just wanted to make it clear that this pool is not in very good condition and I still think it would be good idea to drain it. My reasoning is that the water is completely black as shown in the picture below. Secondly even though it is holding water (about 6 inches below the skimmer) there seems to be a lot of patch jobs (terrible patch jobs) especially around the skimmer. It seems like it would be a good idea to scrap the shotty job the previous home owner did and re silicon and check for other cracks. I will post pictures of what i mean when I get home today.

[attachment=0:amcigw68]Optimized-IMG_20130401_190516 (1).jpg[/attachment:amcigw68]

Attachments

• Optimized-IMG_20130401_190516 (1).jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20130401_190516 (1).jpg
    503 KB · Views: 506
I believe there is a better way to do repairs around the skimmer. American Leak Detection mentioned an epoxy repair (not epoxy patch) that's permanent. It might be worth talking to someone skilled in repairs before you do anything with silicone.

Quick question while I am waiting for the Kit. Is there a way to tell who manufactured my pool? Serial Number? On the stair case there is the letters P|C with a sea horse logo, and that is the only thing I have to go off. I am sitting at work thinking about what type of pool I have... The stairs are hollow, but now that I think about it the sides are plastic, with seams...

Thanks,

Brandon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK so my test kit came in and the numbers are as followed:

FC - 0
PH - < 7.0
TA - 25 ppm
CH - 90 ppm
CYA - < 30 ppm

Also I have been looking around and I can't find the lid to the pump... My Motor is a A.O Smith and the filter is a Sta-Rite, but I am unsure of who made the lid? I figured it would be A.O Smith but when I look up the Model # it only gives me the motor... I did a lot of Googling and came up empty handed. I measured the brim and it measures 6 3/4. Anyway of telling what size lid I need?

Edit: Found a Model Number on the bottom of the trap. I got it.

Thanks,

Brandon

Check to see if your pump works and such. Be sure the mechanicals are in working order before dumping in your chemcals.

Try to manually remove debris, if any, in the pool. Hopefully you have a Pool net or skimmer to be able to do such.

Follow the process- you will be successful! :D

if there was a broken pipe, the rocks would not be coming up through the pipe.

What was the history of the house? Wonder if someone was angry (or kids) that dumped rocks down the pipe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.