Can Low Borate Levels Help Algae to Grow.

If so, then I am doomed because I have 0ppm of borates :shock:

Or are you suggesting that 0ppm is fine and 30-50ppm is fine, but somewhere in the middle would help algae? I do not see how that would make any sense.

Boron is an essential micronutrient for plants including algae, but the amount needed varies by species. As noted in this link, green algae had no effect between 10-24 ppm. Table 18 shows toxicity levels for algae which results in growth inhibition for of 50% at levels of 34-52 ppm and approaches 90-100% inhibition at around 100 ppm.

Nevertheless, I would not say that low levels of boron in a pool accelerate algae growth unless you compare such growth against algae in water with no boron at all. Phosphate levels are usually the limiting micronutrient in most pools. Of course in your pool with extremely high phosphate levels, algae growth would be limited only by sunlight and temperature were it not for chlorine properly managed relative to the CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.