Photo of cool water entering warmer hot tub

LSE08

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2012
SW Florida
First off I'd like to echo the sentiments of many people here with a huge thank you to the very knowledgable contributors on this site! Without you all, I would be at a complete loss as to how to maintain my pool, and I'm sure the photo below would not have been possible.

Perhaps this is 'ho, hum' to others, but I thought it was kind of interesting when I noticed the shadow of the cooler 70* water entering the warmer 95* water of the hot tub yesterday. The water depth is about 18" to the ledge where the shadow is and quite honestly I am very pleased with it's clarity! I will have to leave the 'hows and whys' this happens to those much more knowledgable than I, but I don't imagine it's too much different than heat waves coming off hot pavement. Never thought it would make a shadow however. I do have borates at 50ppm and that does some interesting things to the water........reminds me of the 70's in some ways.

Attachments

• IMG_0839.JPG
    IMG_0839.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 190
If I had to guess, I'd say the different temperature waters are at different densities, and therefore don't mix very well? I've seen a photo of this phenomena where 2 rivers converge but the waters won't mix. It was on River Monsters, if I recall correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.