Which filter/pumps are the best?

Apr 1, 2013
I need a new filter/pump for my pool. I have a waterway 19" sand filter and 1hp pump now. I want to replace it with a bigger filter and pump. I have a 18'x33' oval with approx 16,000 gallons. I have looked on the Internet but I am just getting overwhelmed! I am open to sand or DE. I also would like opinions on Zeosand.

Thank you.

Welcome to tfp, Mommy2acurlyq :wave:

Mommy2acurlyq said:
I need a new filter/pump for my pool.
Why?

Assuming a 54" wall for your pool with no deep end, I get ~15700 gallons for your pool. We would recommend as minimums:
  • 3.0 sq. ft sand filter (~23 inch diameter)
    236 sq. ft. cartridge filter
    44 sq. ft DE filter

For the pump a 2 speed 3/4 to 1 hp pump such as the pentair dynamo or Hayward martrix would be your best choice.

I would skip the zeosand, while it works for some, others have had a lot of trouble with it.

When I turned on the pump after hurricane Isaac it runs very loud. I'm not sure how much longer it will last. I am new to owning a pool this size and don't really know enough. It is an above ground pool with no deep end. How do 2 speed pumps work? How long should I run the pump? Can you tell me how a DE filter works. I need help! :)

Mommy2acurlyq said:
How do 2 speed pumps work?
High speed on a 2-speed is the same flow rate as a single speed. Low speed on the 2-speed is 1/2 the flow rate at about 1/4 the power. Basically most of the time you would run on low speed and would likely save you a significant amount of power.
Mommy2acurlyq said:
How long should I run the pump?
Long enough each day to keep the water clear. This is usually shorter then most pool owners run their pumps. The way I figured this out on mine is to run the pump long enough to turn the pool over 1 time. My pool looked great, so then I backed down the time until the pool wasn't quite clear each day, then went back up 1 hour.
Mommy2acurlyq said:
Can you tell me how a DE filter works.
Take a loot at this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_filter_comparison
Mommy2acurlyq said:
I need help! :)
We all do :mrgreen: We are here to help!

There are advantages and disadvantages to each of the 3 main types of pool filters (sand, cartridge and DE), one of the driving factors forcing people to pick one type or another is water use / discharge restrictions. While many people consider the cost of water when picking a filter, many may not be aware of local / state? laws that prohibit or limit the discharge of swimming pool water into sewers or where it can get into the environment. The most common restriction found is prohibiting DE compound from entry into sanitary sewer systems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.