Pump Problem

Mar 31, 2013
Hey guys, I am new to the board and fairly new pool owner. I recently got a used pool and pump. I believe that my pump is going out. I have a leak in the pressure gauge at this time which I am waiting on the part to fix, however yesterday when i turned the pool motor on I didn't hear any sounds but the motor is sluggish on the low setting and kicks breaker almost instantly on the high speed. I have several questions. Would the broken pressure gauge cause the motor to do this? I have a 30ft 52in deep AGP. If new motor needed, Currently I have a 2.0hp motor with 1 1/2in PVC and maybe 10ft of head at most. Is the 2.0hp too much? What would you suggest? Also what pumps are the best for the best price. I know this is a lot of questions but I am desperately needing help. We just built a new deck and really want the family to enjoy the pool this year.

Without any high flow rate features, 2 hp is way more than you need. A 3/4 or 1 hp 2 speed pump would likely be fine and cheaper both to buy and run.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

bryanemtp said:
Would the broken pressure gauge cause the motor to do this?
No but a motor with a bad bearing could.

Currently I have a 2.0hp motor with 1 1/2in PVC and maybe 10ft of head at most.
Very unlikely that you would have only 10' of head with a 2 HP pump. Probably in the range of 50-60' of head depending on the pump model and plumbing layout. What is the filter pressure?

Ditto to what Jason said.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.