BBB / CYA with intense sunlight

beavis

Jun 17, 2009
The last few years, I've chlorinated my pool with bleach and ran a CYA level around 75 due to the fact the I live in sunny Phoenix, AZ.

However, in the summer months I still have a problem: Every night, I put in the bleach after sunset. Because of the high CYA level, I have to put in A LOT of bleach to get the FC level up to the recommended value. BUT, despite the high CYA level, it is so sunny and hot here that by the next evening my FC is darn near zero again.

Next month I am having my water treated with reverse osmosis to remove calcium. This will remove the CYA, too. Therefore, I am contemplating going with a near zero level of CYA. This will allow me to raise the FC level every evening with a much lower amount of bleach. And, since the FC level will be near zero the next evening with or without CYA, I'll be able to get by with adding much less bleach.

Anyone tried this?

You have algae or some other organic contamination. With CYA that high FC usage would be around 1, maybe 2 ppm per day if everything was working correctly. With high CYA levels it is quite possible to have a low level algae problem, where you can't see anything but there is still algae. You need to shock the pool.

I agree with Jason. The quick confirmation would be to perform the OCLT. Likely then followed by the shock process.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.