Sorry, have a few more questions; re-solar blankets and salt

May 19, 2008
First off, thanks for all the advice from my last post it is much appreciated. Now on to my questions.

First off my 12x40x48 intex pool has a saltwater chlorine generator thus i have to add salt. As i was investigating I noticed that I have a few options as far as salt goes. Standard table salt, pool salt, and solar salt. What is the difference between these and which one is the best to use. My pool has a capacity of near 10,000 gallons and asks for 250lbs of salt. Thanks.

Secondly I purchased a space age swimming pool solar cover 20' x 40' at a thickness of 12mil. What is the best way to use this to get the maximum results out of it. When does one put it on and take it off or any other advice would be great as well

Thanks

P.S. (I live in wisconsin, I didn't know it this might be helpful in offering advice.)

Thanks

Do not use table salt. It is not pure salt. Either pool salt or solar salt should work. Pool salt dissolves faster.

The general recommendation for a solar cover is to put it on the pool in the evening and take it off in the morning.

The main differences in the forms of salt are the crystal size. Solar salt, which is used for water softeners, is very coarse. Pool salt is less coarse and will dissolve faster, but costs more (sometimes double). The solar salt is what I think the majority of salt water pool owners buy. It is sold at just about any hardware store (Ace, Home Depot, Lowe's) and even supermarkets. Just be sure what you're buying is 99.5% pure (or better), with NO anti-caking or iron-fighting agents in it. It is usually sold in BLUE 40 lb. bags.

I generally leave my solar cover on day and night until the temps get up high enough to leave it off for the summer. Leaving it on at night helps keep the heat from escaping from the pool. There's a difference of opinion if it actually helps during the day. I think it does, so I'll leave it on during the day as well until my pool temp and the air temp get up high enough to take it off for swimming.

According to the weatherman, it's supposed to be in the mid- to upper 80's here in middle Tennessee Sunday and Monday, so I might just get to take a dip this weekend.

Yep, everything said above is correct. With the SWG, make sure you have enough salt in BEFORE you start up the SWG - also its a good idea to be sure your water is balanced before starting it up too so it can MAINTAIN rather than having it try to fight to get it right.

as for the other posts STOP STOP. You guys are making me green with envy. We are still having frost in the mornings. I have not fully opened my pool yet. Hope you all enjoy your pools while I dream of mine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.