Leaking Plumbing

dmmeek

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2013
Hope someone has some words of wisdom for me this morning. I hard plumbed, or attempted to hard plumb, my pump, filter, and SWG this weekend using SpaFlex PVC. My problem was the PvC elbows and fittings did not seem very snug before cementing, and of course they are all leaking without any pressure (not a good sign). Are their special fitting just for SpaFlex?

I have a 24' Sharkline AG with a 24" Hayward Filter, 1 HP / 2 speed Matrix Pump, and AquaTrol HP SWG. I am using 1 1/2 inch SpaFlex. If anyone could offer me some suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Daniel

I'm confused, you hard plumbed with FlexPVC?
Your putting hard PVC with flex PVC and used plumbers cement to do that?
Maybe it's just me and I'm missing something in your set up, the flex PVC connects to hard PVC via a male adapater, the flex slides on over the rigid male adapter and then is tightened with a hose clamp.

I have flex and rigid in my own set up, no problems with leaks.

Flex PVC should use the same fittings and solvent as rigid. Sounds like there is confusion between flex PVC vs hoses.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Yes, I'm using Flex PVC, not the flex hoses. I have studied the problem a little and have decided to revamp my efforts. I am applying some silicon around the elbow joints since I have a little leak at a couple of those (first timer error, I guess). The big problem is at the SWG. It came with adapter for 2" PVC and 1 1/2" once flex hose. I used the 1 1/2" adapter, which was never snug, and it is the problem leaker. I have managed to break the bond and went to Lowe's and purchased an fitting that goes from 1 1/2 to 2". I am confident this will work better. I'll post later with my results.
Thanks everyone.
Daniel

If you were able to break the bond, then clearly it was not set correctly. The solvent should melt them into a single piece. So sounds like something is the wrong size somehow. You are using primer right?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Update to Plumbing Issues:

This could read as the confessions of a first-time plumber, but I will spare most of the details.

One, when plumbing vertically, it is extremely challenging to find any leaks downstream from the first one. Both of the leaks that I assumed were coming from the elbow joints were actually from my unions: one from the skimmer and the other at the pool return. This was remedied with more tape and a slightly tighter grip.

Two other leaks were coming from the two male to male threaded nipples I had at the filter. I solved these with some silicon. The pipe is attached with a union nut to the now silicone nipple, so the pipe is still removable. My back wash slip union was leaking a little bit too, and tape solved this one.

Lastly, the worst leaks were coming from the SWG attachment. I installed the AquaTrol HP and it came with a 2” and a 1 ½” adapter for either size plumbing. The actual SWG is a 2”, so the 1 ½” adapter inserts into the pipe and makes it to where the 2” union nut attaches it to the SWG. However, this adapter was extremely loose and the cement did not hold. I was actually able to break the bond when unassembling the unit (and yes, I used the primer). I think this attachment was made for flex hose and not PVC since it came with two clamps. I scrapped these fittings and went to Lowe’s to purchase a different attachment. I came back with a PVC fitting that went from an actual1 ½” inch to 2” and then used the included Hayward 2” tale piece and union nut provided with the SWG. That solution worked well.

Now it is a beautiful piece of art, except for some purple streaks running down a few pipes, but whose complaining.

Daniel

Unions should not require any tape. The o-ring inside should form the seal.

Throw some paint on the pipes to help protect them from the sun and the purple streaks will be gone :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.