Going crazy with the thru-wall skimmer mod

Mar 31, 2013
Seeing everything about thru-wall skimmers, I definately want to install one. When I do, i will attach the skimmer, screw it on, and then cut the hole. My main concern (And my dads) is that the liner may tear where the skimmer was put in and totally ruin the pool. Whats your opinion on this? I know that it is well worth the trouble to do it and the skimmers are only $25 on ebay. I'm just so tired of my pump sucking air through the intex one, and i plan to use the old port for a deticated vacuum line :-D The last thing i want is for the liner to tear. I will most likely order a smaller mouthed skimmer as its only a 16 foot ultra frame pool. Once i do, it will all be hard plumbed.

i have the 18x52 intex and i installed a thru wall skimmer with no problems at all, i never even lowered the water level. it is a simple process and is a excellent mod for these type pools, the only advice i will give you is make sure the pool is atleast 3/4 full because you want the liner stretched tight and take a small torpedo level and lay it on top of the inside plate and mark the 2 top holes with a sharpie and then take a small drillbit to punch the first one and screw the first screw through the liner into the outer skimmer followed by the other 3 corners and then the inner screws once all screws are started then use a large screwdriver and tighten all screws securely, another tip is the skimmer will most likely come with a single butterfly gasket and you can either cut it in half with a razor blade or you can go buy 2 rubber gaskets from the pool store. you may also want to add a shut off ball valve below the skimmer the possibilities are endless. i have a thread on here how i done mine.... another hard plumbed intex.... any more questions just ask......Mike

That sounds great! Will the skimmer be ok with just the gasket on theninside, or should i get one for the outside too? It will probably be like 3 weeks before I get my pool set up. Its all about the $$$, and I dont have much. The mods including a saltwater system will be around 300 (The saltwater cell being 150 on ebay). The best part is, im o lt 16. I really love pools and am aiming to get my pool maitenence free. The suckish intex skimmer has been brokentwice and im tired of messin with it.

you use 2 gaskets one on the inside and one on the outside the problem with the butterfly gaskets that most skimmers come with is you are suppose to cut the liner first and then sandwich the liner between the gasket, not good for the way us intex users install a thru wall skimmer. thats why i recommended going to a pool store and buying 2 rubber gaskets. the liners are real tough, and i never have heard of one ripping from installing a skimmer, just remember after all the screws have been tightened evenly and securely then use a razor knife and carefully cut out the opening and your done........any more questions just ask...good luck.......Mike

Im assuming that a butterfly gasket is the thick, square gasket that comes with the skimmer? I would also think i can take it to the pool store and get one just like it right? Should i get 2 new ones or will the one that comes with it be ok?

And also mike, I believe that you made a youtube video about your setup. Its one of the most explanitory videos ive seen and your setup looks very nice! Once my pool is up I will make a video on putting my skimmer in for the rest of the TFP and youtube community can see based on your guidelines.

no that was not my video, but i have seen it the butterfly gasket is a single gasket that is connected in the middle by a piece of rubber. you can cut it into 2 pieces with a razor blade just lay it on a good flat surface and cut the center connection off and make sure both are smooth. that takes a little time that is why i suggested you take it to a pool store and get 2 rubber gaskets 1 for each side of the liner.....can't wait to see your video.......Mike

I just ordered the skimmer on ebay.. it says in the description that it will come with 2 gaskets but i will see. If not I will get 2 from the pool store. Time to start putting together more money for the cause :)

So... I recently got the skimmer in the mail... no pics yet. I see what you mean when you say butterfly gasket. Do they sell the gaskets seperate like single ones? Should I try to cut it in half first or just get new ones. I really dont want it to leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.