Raising CYA w/ tablets

May 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Hello all, it's great to be back!

I opened the above ground oval pool yesterday and added some bleach. Today I've gotten around to actually testing the water. CL-10, CC-0, PH 7.9, TA-90, CH-90 and CYA 20ish. Okay, added some acid.

I'd like my CYA to be around at least 40 here in the Rockies as our sun is brutal and isn't filtered by as much atmosphere as you all in the flat land. My question is--can I use some pucks to raise the CYA and get some chlorine benefit at the same time (2 birds one stone!) without getting in trouble, or will you yell at me? :roll: I'm trying to save $$ and trying to avoid buying 4lb of CYA and using only 2 or so this year.

Is there a way to somewhat accurately estimate how much CYA I will get with how many pucks? I'm not interested in using up all my CYA reagent on this little experiment if I have to test more than the old fashioned way, nor am I interested in having a bag of tablets left over till next year either. What do you think?

Shelley

You can use my Pool Calculator to figure things out, see the effects of adding chemicals section near the bottom and experiment with it a little.

I would go with using regular CYA, unless you already have some trichlor tablets sitting around, but it will work either way.

I asked about the pool size not being sure you had calculated how much CYA you needed. I see you have.......about 2 lbs.

I think you'll probably find the cost of the tabs to exceed the cost of your normal Cl and the 4 lbs of CYA you have to buy. It'll be interesting if it turns out to be the opposite.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.