Crack in skimmer housing

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
I discovered a crack in the bottom of my skimmer housing. It extends about half-way around the suction opening. I've attached a picture, but the crack is kinda hard to see it is inside the white area. What is the best way to repair it and do I need to drop the water level so it can be dried out? I've decided to empty and refill the pool after getting rid of the iron stains so it could be repaired then if it needs to be dry.

Attachments

• skimmer crack.jpg
    skimmer crack.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 249
stev32k said:
OK, I'll look into that. Does the epoxy need a cover after it is applied to the crack? Would PVC glue work if the area were dried out?

I believe PVC glue is designed to simply connect pieces together not fill a gap. Your best bet would be drain down below the crack allow it to dry then use PVC/Plastic weld or marine grade patch.
I would also want to know why it cracked, ground shift? Any of the concrete in that area cracked as well?

4knights said:
I believe PVC glue is designed to simply connect pieces together not fill a gap. Your best bet would be drain down below the crack allow it to dry then use PVC/Plastic weld or marine grade patch.
I would also want to know why it cracked, ground shift? Any of the concrete in that area cracked as well?

The concrete is not cracked, and I can't see any other obvious signs of a problem. So maybe it is ground shift. Would silicone calk would work if the area were dried out and given a light sanding?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.