rebuiling Max-E-Glas pump - what is this brass ring?

twd000

Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I got the rebuild kit for my 20+ year old 2 HP single-speed Max-E-Glas pump. I got the square gasket replaced by the strainer basket. I am working on getting the impeller out (it is locked onto the shaft pretty tight)

I found this brass ring around the impeller body - I don't see it in the parts diagram from Pentair. Also you can see in the photo of the impeller - it looks like some of the plastic has been chewed away. The brass ring is loose. So what does the ring do, and do I need to replace the impeller?

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

It is an impeller ring and part of the impeller. It helps to prevent re-circulation in the diffuser. However, it looks like yours spun on the impeller so yes, the impeller should be replaced and the ring comes with it. You may need a new diffuser as well. Inspect the inside of the diffuser where the impeller slips in and see if there are scuff marks.

update - got all the new parts, took it apart and started rebuilding. I noticed in the diagram, a part called a "water slinger #C69-2"
I'm pretty sure I didn't have this part when I disassembled, and I did not order one with the rebuild kit.

1. what does a water slinger do?
2. do I need to buy and install a replacement?

also, I noticed that the shaft seal is kind of sloppy when inserted into the seal plate. I see in the instructions about tapping it in with a dowel, but there is no need since it is so loose. IN fact, the silicone I applied is the only thing keeping it in place until I screw on the impeller. Will this get deformed when tightening the impeller, or do I need to make up this gap somehow?

The seal should fit the backing plate fairly snug. The silicone shouldn't be what holds it in place. The slinger is a rubber washer on the pump shaft to keep water from getting into the front bearing of the motor. You may need to order a new backing plate. Max-E-Glas may have had an old style with a copper insert in it that the new style doesn't. If your pump housing is that old it may be of that generation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.