white areas on diamondbrite

teppy

Nov 11, 2007
Louisiana
I have white areas on the bottom of my pool. They seem to be getting worse. I have been keeping a record of my test results since my pool was first started up with the sticker on the trouble free test kit box. I was going to use a jandy stainmaster to get these spots off, but will not do that now after someone on another forum told me that it would not be a good idea since it will leave worse spots later on by using that. Here is what I was told:

"FYI, the stainmaster is not a good idea, long term. The application of acid locally underwater will remove a stain and all will look well. But, over time, that spot you treated has a totally different property than the surrounding area. For lack of a better term, if you know the great spot on Jupiter, you will understand. The pool finish will stain from chemical use over time as a part of normal wear. That spot you stainmastered will stain differently. It stands out like a sore thumb or "great spot" after time.
It takes longer, but you will get a nicer job if you immediately lower pH to drastic levels and brush. The precipitate is not leftover plaster, it is a natural curing process that occurs as the plaster is made wet. The lower pH will dissolve that precipitate and prevent it from sticking. You need to keep all equipment off and then bring the pH/alk up with bicarb."

And anyway there are just too many areas to do. The entire bottom of my pool is splotchy. There are only two time frames since starting my pool up that the pool calculator advises me of potential scaling. The first time was between 3/28/08-3/30/08, and the second time frame is between 4/15/08-4/29/08. In the first time frame the out of range numbers were ph8.2 adn TA of 120-130, and CH between 188-170. The second time frame my ph was 8.0-8.2, everything else was in normal range this time. Could the numbers from these two time frames have caused this? The first time was only 3 days and the second time was for 15 days with only the ph high. I would really appreciate any advise on what to do from here. I am attatching a photo of what it looks like. I had to use my iphone to take this because my DSLR camera battery is dead, but you can see the spots. I am also attatching a photo of what my pool looks like when not concentrating on these areas.

It is critical that you keep the PH below 8.0 at all times. High PH is the primary cause of calcium staining.

The low PH approach to removing calcium scaling sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. The longer the scale has had to harden in place the more difficult it is to remove. Often the only solution is a full drain and acid wash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.