Building A Fence, Is Galvanized Steel Worth the Premium (Az)

Jan 2, 2013
I have a pool fence I'm having built around my pool. The basic option is powder coated, but a galvanized option adds quite a bit to the price, over a $1000 dollars.

I live in AZ where it's incredibly dry, and the powder coating SHOULD do a good job, but on a single side there's a 5 foot section of rocks as a barrier and then my lawn that has sprinklers that might hit some part of it.

The basic fence has zero warranty for rust, the galvanized has 20 year warranty.

Any advice?

Re: Building A Fence, Is Galvanized Steel Worth the Premium

Galvanizing has gone through the roof with the price of zinc. It's also rated for 35 years too if it's hot dip. In AZ, I'd think you'd have more of a fading problem from the sun than a rusting problem.

jacob_coulter said:
I have a pool fence I'm having built around my pool. The basic option is powder coated, but a galvanized option adds quite a bit to the price, over a $1000 dollars.

I live in AZ where it's incredibly dry, and the powder coating SHOULD do a good job, but on a single side there's a 5 foot section of rocks as a barrier and then my lawn that has sprinklers that might hit some part of it.

The basic fence has zero warranty for rust, the galvanized has 20 year warranty.

Any advice?

Wait, you have a lawn in AZ?? Isn't that against the law or something?? :mrgreen:

Sounds like you might be talking to DCS? We decided to pass on the galvanized option since we don't have any sprinklers and, more importantly, the cost was too high. We're just going to try to regularly spray it down with WD-40 (we've heard that helps).

Usually in a few years I will have forgotten the extra money spent but will be happy I got what I wanted, instead of saving a little then fixing it later. I would go galv.

bobby1017 said:
Usually in a few years I will have forgotten the extra money spent but will be happy I got what I wanted, instead of saving a little then fixing it later. I would go galv.

I usually agree, I think my issue is you're talking about almost 40% premium to get galvanized. I'm almost wondering if it's better to just put that money away and use to redo the fence later, I'm sure will be faded out after several years anyway. My ultimate goal is to get rid of the fence when the kids are older, probably 5 years.

I think the other issue I'm grappling with is powder coating is supposed to be a lot more effective than just paint, so it's not like it has zero rust protection. I live in a dry climate and only about 10% of the fence will likely get hit just a bit with the sprinklers.

You'll be fine either way, sometimes I do things "overkill" any way. If you wont want it after 5 years then defiantly just go powder. Not sure what color but maybe one that doesn't fade as much, IE lighter color.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.