LED bulb in a T3 R7S Halogen socket? Bad idea?

Mar 28, 2013
I've got the standard halogen bulbs/fixtures in my pool and have been thinking about replacing them with an LED bulb.

I use these types of LED bulbs (they call them corn-cob) in things like my attic, garage door opener, etc. They are inexpensive, bright, reliable. I can get one that has the same 118mm base, the voltage, the R7S ends, should fit right in there, significant wattage savings and hopefully less replacing.

Am I missing anything here? Was concerned about heat - but the 500 watt halogens are CRAZY hot. Thoughts? I don't believe this poses any problems but I've been wrong before!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330877556556?var=540149032389

As long as it fits in the enclosure and the reflector is large enough to reflect light from the back around the larger bulb assembly it will work just fine. It won't be as bright as a regular halogen however.

Okay - going to give it a try. I found a 12 watt, it is all facing in one direction - I had a 150 watt in there before and it was plenty bright enough, this will be dimmer, but there are 2 lights in the pool and tired of burning so much energy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello, just came across your post doing research for the same. Have you used the LED replacement? If so, your thoughts as to light quality, intensity etc? I've got T3 R7S typel Halo in there right now (actually, a burnt/ broken one) and want to go LED, but I don't feel up to pulling new wire for complete fixture replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.