Re-filled pool

Mar 10, 2012
Boardman, Oregon
New to forum, hope to find help.
I just filled my in-ground, indoor, gunite with tile, pool with water from the well. At this point, I have a pH of about 8.7, TA of zero, Total Chlorine of ~10. Not sure what to do. I know I need TA, but am afraid that adding baking soda will raise the pH as well.

In the meantime, I have the heater running, with temperature of about 74 degrees.

I don't have any muratic acid on hand, nor any calcium chloride. I can get it,

Welcome to TFP!

It isn't possible to have TA at zero and PH above about 4.5. You could have TA close to zero and high PH, but the PH must be low by the time TA goes to zero. Also, the usual PH test can't measure PH above 8.2 or so. Together those factors make me wonder what you are using to get your test results. If your test results are not reliable, it is difficult to know what to do next.

dawsonjm,

One of the things we emphasize in pool management is accurate testing and your posts are good examples of just how wildly different results can be with test strips , pool store testing or expired reagents.

Have you used the well water as a fill source before? If not, you probably should get an iron test also, Iron is fairly common in well water and it's a real PITA to deal with in a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.