Wiring a new Intermatic T10604R?

ping

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2011
Long Beach, CA
I'm replacing my old timer with a new intermatic T10604R control box. My question deals with the length of the original wires. The new box is larger and I don't think the heater wires that are connected to the 240V lines will be long enough to reach the terminals on the new timer. Will I be able to extend the length of the heater wires with wire nut junctions inside the box, or do I need to rewire the heater so the wires will be the proper length?

The heater has three wires entering the T104M timer box, one is a green ground wire that is connected with all the other ground wires, one red wire is connected to the #1 terminal along with the supply line, and the other red wire is connected to the #3 terminal along with the other supply line.

The ground wire will be fine to lengthen, but I'm not sure of the other wires.

That sounds like the power wires for the heater. If that's the case, I would go to the extra trouble to extend those. Contrary to popular belief, the ground wire is the one to be the most concerned about. It needs to be connected with a split bolt connector and not just a wire nut.

Thanks Dave, I will take the time and follow your advice. I just want to make sure I have all the required wires and connectors before I start the new install. This box has a grounding bar with a locking screw for each individual ground wire. The old box had just one ground lug and all the ground wires were wire-nutted together with one wire running to the lug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.