City Water HIGH CYA

Grhawn

Mar 26, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a home that had been forclosed on and have little to no information on the pool build date or size. I know its a pebble tec type plaster lined, and due to its odd geometry i had a hard time calculating the gallons. i believe it to be between 18500 and 20000 gallons based on rough estimates.

I recently drained and refilled this pool, as i had no idea of the water history and content in the pool. i scrubbed the walls with a 1 to 4 bleach water solution when it was empty and cleaned it as best i could. i filled the pool using two hoses from seperate spigots and had the water tested at my local leslies pool supply.

FC - .5
TAC - .5
CH - 150
TA - 100
CYA - 250

The 250 ppm on CYA is disturbing me as there was literally no water in my pool to start, i shop vac'd as best i could prior to filling.

i will retest the CYA level at leslies but also obtain a taylor test kit and follow the directions and repost with my results. For now, if it turns out that the city water (tucson arizona) is really this high in CYA, what are my options for reduction?

Thanks in advance for any help and i apologize if this is outside of the rules or in the wrong section.

Your water isn't high in CYA. There would never be any at all in your tap water, and even if there was the test doesn't go above 100ppm. That should tell you that your Leslie's store is a worthless source of water testing.

After reading through the pool school - i had my girlfriend return over 200 dollars worth in chemicals that ive read are more or less worthless (same store). i am going to test it myself and use the BBB method.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

Welcome to TFP, neighbor!!!

Glad you found us and were able to un-pool-store yourself!!! I have a hard time biting my tongue whenever I go to the pool store chain as they spout non-sense to people.

Lots of information in Pool School ... be sure to order one of the recommended test kits. Really the TF-100 is the best value.

Jblizzle,

Any idea where to find the TF-100 locally, barring that, best place online?

Was about to take the plung on k2006 via amazon.

Here is a pic of the pool Mid - fill - still working on the calcium deposits. afraid the algae may have perm. stained certain areas. was a swamp before i cleaned it

photo.JPG

Grhawn said:
Jblizzle,

Any idea where to find the TF-100 locally, barring that, best place online?

Was about to take the plung on k2006 via amazon.

Here is a pic of the pool Mid - fill - still working on the calcium deposits. afraid the algae may have perm. stained certain areas. was a swamp before i cleaned it

photo.JPG
http://tftestkits.net is where to buy it. I'd recommend a speedstir, too.

Personally, I'd go to yelp and nail that pool store for reading 250 CYA in tap water!

There is also a west coast distributor that can be found in the link in my signature. Or the main site Richard posted.

The kits are put together by the owner of this forum, so the quantities of the reagents is more in line with what you need.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Grhawn said:
...due to its odd geometry i had a hard time calculating the gallons. i believe it to be between 18500 and 20000 gallons based on rough estimates.

I recently drained and refilled this pool, as i had no idea of the water history and content in the pool.
Check your water meter for the size of your pool. :) Your previous bill should have the meter read from the beginning of the month, or you can wait for your statement. Subtract normal usage... should get you a good estimate.

Robert

That will not likely give you any better estimate of the volume. Better to use poolcalculator dose sizes and verifying the effect of the chemicals you add.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.