Waterproofing Concrete Bowls

kwnewbie

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 5, 2013
Houston Area
Brand new to the forum, but learned a bunch so far! My pool was filled last week and we are just putting in the finishing touches. Yesterday they installed my water feature...2 concrete bowls on two 18" columns that will overflow into the pool. I opened the valve to test them out today and everything looked great, except that water eventually starting seeping throught the bowl and leaking over the column. It is obvious to me that since these bowls will be full of water while they are operating, I will have to seal/waterproof the inside of the bowls to minimize any leakage.

My pool builder recommended a masonry waterproofer (used to waterproof basement walls, etc.). It's called Drylok Extreme Masonry Waterproofer. I also did a quick search on the web and found a highly rated clear sealant from Seal-Krete which dries on clear (I'm assuming it will not be as watertight, but I'm thinking it may be good enough). The finish of the bowls is very smooth and polished in look. I can post a picture once I figure out how to do so.

Does anyone have any experience with concrete bowls as a water feature, bird bath, etc. and if so, what have you used to keep the water from seeping through? Has anyone used any of the products I mentioned above and have any recommendations either way?

Thanks in advance!

I have used Drylok many times. Works great. Finishes somewhat rough but nice an clean (and white). You can even paint or mortar right over it. Not sure of the finish of your bowls but there is a good chance you could drylok them and then do a tinted mortar over it that matches the original look of the bowl and it would last pretty much forever since the Drylok would be impregnated.

Here is Drylok applied to my pool waterfall and then mortared over. It has never leaked.

Pool190.jpg

Pool188.jpg

I actually just had this same issue. I wound up using a product called A+B Epoxy. I picked it up at Leslie's Pool Supply. It is in clay form and can be molded to any shape. My bowls needed to be sealed because they have both fire and water pipes stemming through, plus the concrete bowls are naturally uneven in certain sections. I used the epoxy to fill in all the areas on the top of my columns and inside the bowls where the piping comes through the hole. The expoy cured in a few hours, and the best part is that it continues to cure even under water. Turned on the water feature the next day and no more leaks!

Thanks for the replies. Since the bowls already have a finished look and I was not looking to have them painted, I was hoping initially for a clear type sealant if possible. However, I'm thinking I may go ahead and do my best to spread as even a coat as I can on the inside of the bowls, and if I don't like the finished look of the Drylok, we are considering putting in some stones/river rock to finish the bowls, so hopefully that will help the final look.One bowl was not showing much sign of leaking [attachment=0:2b0oxq00]photo 2.JPG[/attachment:2b0oxq00]

However, you can see in this picture how the water was seeping on the sides of the other bowl. [attachment=1:2b0oxq00]photo 1.JPG[/attachment:2b0oxq00].

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 261
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 238
I would absolutely look for a clear seal. Even if it's not perfectly waterproof, it will retain the look you have (albeit darken it somewhat) and can be reapplied quite easily if you need more waterproofing.

Dave,

I would definitely prefer to try a clear seal as my intial approach. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or success in a clear concrete sealer? I may try the Seal-Krete product, but as always, it's always easier to learn from actual experience from others! Thanks.

Have you considered sealing the inside of the bowl instead of the exterior? Then you may be able to use a little color to highlight the bowl effect.
Possibly DECO 20 clear waterproofer or Kryton membrane? Not sure how it will work as I only used the Deco for our garage floor to finish seal a crack I repaired.

kwnewbie said:
Thanks for the replies. Since the bowls already have a finished look and I was not looking to have them painted, I was hoping initially for a clear type sealant if possible. However, I'm thinking I may go ahead and do my best to spread as even a coat as I can on the inside of the bowls, and if I don't like the finished look of the Drylok, we are considering putting in some stones/river rock to finish the bowls, so hopefully that will help the final look.One bowl was not showing much sign of leaking

However, you can see in this picture how the water was seeping on the sides of the other bowl.

Just want to say how cool your elevated bowls are! Great feature, and I think the stone guy who built them should have to waterproof them for you.

I wated to update everyone. I believe the biggest issue I was facing was that the concrete was not completely cured. I had attempted to seal with a clear "impregnating" type sealer for concrete driveways, etc. After letting the sealer dry, I attempted using them again, and they still leaked. I had shut down the valve feeding the concrete bowls to let them dry while I decided how I was going to tackle sealing them. We just had some good rain yesterday which filled the bowls with water... and they did not leak!

The bowls were installed approximately around two weeks ago and I believe at that time they had been built around a week before. This would put them approximately one week from the 28 day curing period I have heard for concrete in the past. I plan on giving them one more week and then trying to run them full time and hope for the best. I will update at the time.

The only thing I'm seeing now is some staining and efflorescence on the exterior of the bowls. I plan on purchasing a wire brush and trying to scrape off this deposit and hope it does not become a constant maintenance type issue once they cure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Slightly off topic, but I once made a fishpond inside of previously built brick planters by pouring a 1" thick wall and floor of concrete inside of them. The concrete was mixed with a water proofing powder substance that i got at Lowe's. I remember it being rated for use around food. Similar to this http://www.xypex.com/products/additive-products If someone decides to make their own bowls or water feature out of concrete/mortar this could be the way to go.

I plan on purchasing a wire brush and trying to scrape off this deposit and hope it does not become a constant maintenance type issue
Good heads up on catching it early. You may need to use some muriatic acid to clean them thoroughly after they are brushed. It also is likely to continue for a bit but is very controllable if you get to it frequently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.