Newly renovated marbellite pool

Mar 25, 2013
South Africa
We bought our first house coming from a tiny 99 sq. metre place just 5 years ago. The house is on about 1400 sq. metres of land and came with a large pool already installed. An absolute guess is 75,000 litres or roughly 20,000 gallons. Pretty darn big by our standards for a regular home owner in South Africa.

At our first viewing, before putting in an offer on the house, the pool was a mess but somehow I wasn't too worried then (today I'd flip!). We use residual chlorine floaters here in South Africa commonly called a "Monthmate". There were like 7 on the pool floor along with leaves and debris. This caused a lot of staining and mottling on to pool floor.

Fast forward 5 years and looking back, I had mostly good fortune with a mostly blue pool. The past year though I've battled, sometimes letting the pool go completely. The Kreepy Krauly Bullshark played a large role...requiring so much effort to keep it working. Due to climbing out the pool so often, the (many times repaired) 0.75kW pump seized. I also had a leak somewhere underground and the marbellite was super porous (along with ugly stains and 20cm diameter black algae patch (more on this later).

The first pool company to quote and repair dug up the suction line and replaced it. A new pump was installed. Yet I still had air in my system with almost no suction after 10 minutes of running the pool cleaner. Next the weir was the likely suspect but I got in a new pool company for the job. They replaced the suction line of the first company (What???) and installed a new weir. At this point we made an overnight decision since the water level was so low already...the pool walls were literally crumbling from old age. We decided to re-marbellite and renovate.

Build list:

Existing:

3 Bag Quality sand filter (weird brand I know but pretty standard here in South Africa)
Kreepy Krauly Bullshark pool cleaner

New:

0.75kW Quality pump
External waterproof Quality timer box
2 * Quality blue LED DC lights
Quality multiport valve
Quality weir
Cotswold bullnose colonial stone coping (charcoal colour)
New suction line
New return lines and valves
Cobalt blue mosaic
Cemcrete PoolCrete White Marbellite
Quality Pump Housing
Quality Surface Skimmer

Okay so *everything* new except the sand filter...which still looked new although 5 years old.

In progress pics to follow shortly.

y4apydab.jpg

ygutujaq.jpg

e4equha7.jpg

4u7y7ajy.jpg

any5u9ar.jpg

utuzy3y8.jpg

ezy9ejeb.jpg

5a9y9avy.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find the top statement on that bucket of calcium chloride amusing. Makes it sound like the CH is the most important thing to worry about!!!

Although I assume that is their slogan that is on all their product.

The rest of my in-progress photos:

qebema7e.jpg

See this one? The black algae spot was actually rebar too close to the surface of the pool...which rusted so bad it came through the pool wall lining! It was cut away and hopefully won't return. :)

ve5ygazu.jpg

ajadysy3.jpg

anu6ydun.jpg

The end product. Feels rather lacking to what I read about on here but I'm happy with the end result. Should be good for many a kid's pool party in years to come...with the little one due in less than 4 months. :D

be9epary.jpg

mavu7y6y.jpg

a2e8eqat.jpg

mudeju3e.jpg

mu2e6y8y.jpg

evame3ag.jpg

ave4utem.jpg

mujujybe.jpg

je5egy8a.jpg

aqe2yta7.jpg

3ypyzu7a.jpg

3e9yrahy.jpg

4upuhe4a.jpg

ysu3upyp.jpg

9y9e3y9a.jpg

y7yma2y8.jpg

The stupid Kreepy Krauly has just been replaced by a Zodiac Barracuda MX8...closest we get to robots here (never seen one for sale).

Thanks guys. Wish I had before photos...was a frog pond of note due to the pump that had seized.

Believe it or not but I've never tested my water...ever. I'm going to start from today and stop being ignorant and nonchalant about good pool care. Pool School??

Gorgeous pool! And Pool School is in the upper right corner at the top of every page. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Medium term update here if anyone is interested. It's been 2.5 years now and my pool is in need of repairs. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what the problem is? We could run a betting pool. Ha!

Symptoms:

Pool cleaner runs for less than an hour and stops. It was recently overhauled and has also just been tested again with no problems.

I had what looked like silt on the bottom of my pool. Battling without a pool cleaner, I did my best to manually clean. This inevitably involved manually vacuuming the pool floor. After doing this on filter (with backwash and bypass cycles in between) the silt returned. I then vacuumed on waste and had to significantly top up my water level. This in the midst of waster restrictions! :( The silt returned!

I've also picked up some stains on the otherwise pristine marbellite floor. I do get a lot of pine needles (from two nearby pine trees) in the pool but even after cleaning the pool mere days ago, with no pine needles present, the stains have increased in number. They do mildly resemble pine needles.

Guilty as charged! I do my water like Clint Eastwood would - gut feel.

In all seriousness, I never got around to ordering a proper kit as previously recommended. The local kits are useless and a waste of time.

I'm due to take a water sample in this weekend.

Could be organic staining if you're just guessing. You need to properly maintain this pool if you're letting you're toddler swim in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.