How much water to drain at once?

linen said:
Since you are losing more than 1 ppm FC overnight, you need to do the shocking process, but you high cya really makes that impractical now. I would continue to lower cya, before focusing on the shocking.

Thanks for the input. I suspected as much. I don't think I'll get to do more draining until this weekend. I have a plan to build a better drain pipe for the filter, that should speed the drain process.

Tested the water this morning

T=68F
FC=11
pH=7.6
TA=130
CH=180 so I added 16lbs of Calcium Chloride. This should raise CH by about 80ppm
did not test for CYA. I have the last 2 pieces of PVC to turn my filter pump into a drain pump.

I plan to do some drains this weekend to lower the CYA.

Update:

I drained and refilled this weekend. I had to buy a pump, because I couldn't drain more than 7" with the main pump for some reason (topic for a different thread). I added 484 oz of Bleach while refilling as my FC was probably around 1 or 2 (didn't measure)

Test results this morning.
T=68F
FC=15.5
CC=0.5
pH>8, not sure if this is due to the high FC level or not
TA=120
CH=160, I plan to add about 20lbs of CaCl. I added 16lbs after last weeks drain and that added 90ppm of CH.
CYA=65...WOOHOO! Now I can get on with the show.

bigmoguls said:
pH>8, not sure if this is due to the high FC level or not
I would guess yes, unless the ph was high before you brought it to shock level. Either way, don't adjust until you are below 10 ppm FC.

bigmoguls said:
CYA=65...WOOHOO! Now I can get on with the show.
Still a little high for a non swg pool. It is manageable, but it might be best to get it down to 50 ppm now.

Isaac-1 said:
Like linen said, maybe still a little high, but I would not worry about it given we are likely getting into the rainy season

I think I'll leave it as it is for now. Move on to the shocking phase. Tonight, I'll perform the overnight FC test to see where I am with regard to chlorine consumption.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.