Gravel in Bottom of Filter

dmmeek

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2013
I've seen this topic debated before, and was looking for a recommendation. I am going to install a Hayward 24" sand filter, S244T, and wondering if I should put a layer of pea gravel in before the sand. The instruction manual doesn't mention this at all, but does recommend that I fill the tank 1/2 full of water before dumping in the sand. Are there benefits to the gravel method, and can the gravel harm my underdrain laterals? Also, the instructions state to fill sand to 6" from of filter - is this a trouble free pool recommendation also? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Daniel

Gravel is not really important/useful in smaller filters, though it can help a great deal in larger filters. Yours isn't really big enough to need gravel. In large filters the idea is you only need a sand bed that is so thick, and gravel improves the water flow through the lower portion of the filter once it has passed through the sand. In smaller filters the total distance is fairly short and so there is little for gravel to improve, plus it is easy to put in too much gravel and make the sand bed too thin, so gravel is not normally recommended for smaller filters.

Yes, fill to the level indicated in the manual.

As long as you fill with water as they suggested before adding any sand or gravel you won't damage the filter using gravel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.