My trip to the pool store and how to implement BBB

May 23, 2007
Central Jersey
After taking the cover off last week, starting the pump and vacuuming about 60% of the dirt off the bottom, the pool is starting to look good. So far I've only added bleach (about 6 large jugs of 6%, about 1 a day).

Took a sample to Leslie's and here are the numbers:

Free Available Chlorine (FAC): 2.0
pH: 7.2
Total Alkalinity: 70
Calcium Hardness: 90
Cyanuric Acid (CYA): 0
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS): 1,000

I have a vinyl liner pool. I think it is about 25,000 gallons, but hard to tell as it is a curvy free form shape.

I bought 8lbs of CYA for $36.99. The Pool calculator says I need a little over 6lbs to get to 30. Should I bother trying to dissolve in a nylon stocking hanging in front of a return or just dump it into the skimmer?

The pH and TA seem OK, but low. Do I adjust now to the 7.5 pH target and 100 TA target? I'm thinking of starting slow with 2lbs of borax and 3lbs of baking soda.

Now, after I get these levels right while keeping the chlorine at about 3, what about Calcium Hardness? Pool store says to add 47lbs of "hardness plus" because (i) I have a pool heater with metal parts and (ii) to protect any metal parts in the water like my light. Is this good advice? If so, could I use Cal-Hypo instead of bleach for a while to raise the Calcium Hardness?

So, how am I doing? Any advice on implementing BBB for my pool is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

njwaves said:
I have a vinyl liner pool. I think it is about 25,000 gallons, but hard to tell as it is a curvy free form shape.

I bought 8lbs of CYA for $36.99. The Pool calculator says I need a little over 6lbs to get to 30. Should I bother trying to dissolve in a nylon stocking hanging in front of a return or just dump it into the skimmer?

The pH and TA seem OK, but low. Do I adjust now to the 7.5 pH target and 100 TA target? I'm thinking of starting slow with 2lbs of borax and 3lbs of baking soda.

Now, after I get these levels right while keeping the chlorine at about 3, what about Calcium Hardness? Pool store says to add 47lbs of "hardness plus" because (i) I have a pool heater with metal parts and (ii) to protect any metal parts in the water like my light. Is this good advice? If so, could I use Cal-Hypo instead of bleach for a while to raise the Calcium Hardness?

So, how am I doing? Any advice on implementing BBB for my pool is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'd put the CYA in a sock. I just drop it in the skimmer in the sock. If the pool isn't clean completely you might have to backwash or clean a cartridge, so you could lose the undissolved CYA that is caught in the filter. I wouldn't add all of the CYA since you aren't sure about the pool volume. Go for half and see what it measures after a week.

I wouldn't worry about the TA unless you have trouble keeping pH up. You can use whatever you want if you need to raise pH since you can tolerate more TA.

Using cal-hypo is fine. You might want to contact your heater manufacturer or read the manual to find out what hardness they recommend. Otherwise, the pool doesn't care.

If I go with Cal-Hypo for chlorination while I'm trying to increase my calcium hardness, how do I apply? Will leaving granules in the skimmer affect the pool and/or liner? An ad for a competing product said Cal-Hypo causes cloudiness - myth?

The only reason to add calcium is if your pool or heater warranty requires it. It won't actually make any different to the heater.

Cal-hypo can cause cloudiness, but only when the CH level is much higher than yours is right now. Besides, put in a little acid and the clouds go away.

Cal-hypo should be pre-dissolved in a bucket of water and then poured slowly into a skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.