2 Speed Pump automation, relays, etc.

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
I am in the process of a pump system upgrade which is being done along with a replacement / upgrade of my solar panel heating and I need someone with knowledge in this field to give me some advice.

My goal is to set things up so when the solar controller switches to solar panel operation it will also switch the pump to high speed, and when it switches off of solar operation it will go back low speed. I also want a manual switch that will force high speed on for manual vacuuming, etc.

First off I bought a Jandy 2 speed 1.5HP Flo Pro pump today (price was right) and now I need to work out how to interface it with my solar panel controller. Unfortunately it seems no one wants to post wiring diagrams for their 2 speed pumps or relay interface kits online, so I have been forced to try to piece together bits of information and I am not sure if I have it all right. From what I have found it looks like this pump requires a SPDT switch to switch between low and high speed mode (it switches a common line, usually noted as L1 input between the low or high speed windings).

The controller also includes a conventional pump timer for on and off timings and has built in solar override relay to keep the pump on when solar heat is available and the pool has not reached its goal temperature. This controller also has a SPST relay designed to operate a booster pump which I would like to use to switch the pump from low to high speed operation. My plan is to wire this SPST relay and a conventional SPST light switch in parallel so that either one of them will operate a SPDT or DPDT (used as SPDT) relay that switches the common line input between the low and high speed windings. My big problem at the moment is identifying the correct Jandy (or other brand) relay that is marketed for this type of operation, preferably one that does not require some 3rd control box with a transformer, etc. I am thinking what I might need is a Jandy 6796 relay, but am having a hard time locating a wiring diagram for it. Any help you can provide will be most welcome.

Ike

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions on making this project work?

My Easytouch panel relays can be set for 2 relays to control the 2 speed pump or you can get a 2 speed relay that switches the power from low speed to high speed as programmed.
Not sure if you could use the relay from Pentair on another product but it's a straight forward wiring job if your control panel can fit the relay.

Since you're trying to do something not natural to the unit and the specs aren't published for the controller, it's hard for someone to tell you what relay you need. What voltage does the unit use to switch the relays? I think it's 24vac but I'm not sure.

I know that is a problem, but it seems all around in the industry, I can't even find a wiring or hook up diagram for the 6796 relay. It is easy enough to measure the output voltage from the Aqua-Solar controller, which I have found one reference saying 24V but not is it is AC or DC (I assume AC), and I know the 6796 relay will work with the pump motor I have ordered, but there seems to be ZERO information on this relay other than the sales lit, no wiring diagrams, not specs, not even hook up instruction that I can find.

Ike
ps after a bit more digging I found a trouble shooting guide that shows wiring for the 6796, specifying 24VDC for the control side of the relay.

Isaac-1 said:
I know that is a problem, but it seems all around in the industry, I can't even find a wiring or hook up diagram for the 6796 relay. It is easy enough to measure the output voltage from the Aqua-Solar controller, which I have found one reference saying 24V but not is it is AC or DC (I assume AC), and I know the 6796 relay will work with the pump motor I have ordered, but there seems to be ZERO information on this relay other than the sales lit, no wiring diagrams, not specs, not even hook up instruction that I can find.

Ike
ps after a bit more digging I found a trouble shooting guide that shows wiring for the 6796, specifying 24VDC for the control side of the relay.

Can you post a link or attachment to the wiring diagram for the 6796?

Larry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Similar question, no solar, but want a timer/controller for the 2-speed pump. I'd like to run timed modes low and high speed and manual to high speed. No solar or other concerns, but do what the SWG cell on when it runs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.