Pentair Intellitouch problems

avpowerstn

Aug 7, 2012
Hello everyone

I have a Pentair Intellitouch, The Indoor controller is unresponsive. I called pentair
and the gentleman at Pentair gave me the name of a repair company 100 miles away.
I only live 50 miles from Los Angeles. :hammer: Is anyone familar with Pentair Intellitouch systems.

Thank You

Jim

Are you getting any kind of display? The wire that connects the indoor controller to the equipment outside has 4 wires. Red and black are power, green and yellow are data. If you are getting some lights, you may have only lost the data connection. What i usually find is that a rodent or equivalent has chewed through the wire(s) where it runs under the house.

Hello Pool Clown (PC) yes I have the display in the house (indoor control center) which shows all the funtions.
When attempting to program the ICC, I press <menu> then <program> and receive "there was an error retrieving the data"
message on the screen. When I push a button on the ICC I do not get a green light next to that button.
When I tried <menu> <setup> <clock> I was able to set the clock, But when I exited the menu (back to main menu)
my data was reset to default, as if I never programed the clock data.
Also the spa side control reads (err). Oh yeah Nice Icon

Thank you

Jim

I would check that 4 wire connection that i spoke of earlier. I also had this happen when a 10 button "Spa Command" failed. Do you have one of those at the spa side? If you do, disconnect it from the buss at the main PC board. Remember to turn off the power before you disconnect.

Pool Clown said:
Are you getting any kind of display? The wire that connects the indoor controller to the equipment outside has 4 wires. Red and black are power, green and yellow are data. If you are getting some lights, you may have only lost the data connection. What i usually find is that a rodent or equivalent has chewed through the wire(s) where it runs under the house.

Had a little set back 77 MPH winds. Still in the process of recovering. lol please see pic's
will test wire asap

Attachments

• tumbleweeds pool.jpg
    tumbleweeds pool.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 449
Pool Clown said:
I would check that 4 wire connection that i spoke of earlier. I also had this happen when a 10 button "Spa Command" failed. Do you have one of those at the spa side? If you do, disconnect it from the buss at the main PC board. Remember to turn off the power before you disconnect.
One more

Last edited:
I agree. It had been over 2.5 years since I last drained the pool. I hit 109 degrees in summer quite often. So with all the evaporation, my TDS count, moves high pretty quick, I am also on a water well with 25 GPG water hardness. So I was not too upset to drain the pool. What sucked was after I filled the pool, four days later, we had 62 MPH winds. My equipment just laughed at the small amount of silt. But I did have to clean my filters again. So I purchased a second set of filters (ouch) ($495 OTD, ebay OEM, for both). I am going to make my own portable pump (pool side vac), that way I can also glass bead my tile and water features, when I am not using the ScaleMaster and ScaleTec. Will respond after I check the 4 wire gig.

OK pulled the top panel, found the red wire was disconnected. Re-connected, did a reset.
But still recieving "there was an error retrieving the data" code. will test continuity.
Just double checking This is the wires I want to be checking correct?

Attachments

• Intellitouch 003.jpg
    Intellitouch 003.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 417
  • Intellitouch 002.jpg
    Intellitouch 002.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 402

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool Clown, I just wanted to say thank you for your suggestion about disconnecting the spa remote. We are staying at a rental house with a spa and they have this system. The indoor controller was throwing the error about being unable to retrieve data. Some functions would work, but only once and could not be reversed (we could turn the jets on but not off). I found where the remote connects inside the control box and disconnected it (after cutting the power) and now the indoor controller is working properly again.

:whoot:

Crowdsourced troubleshooting is awesome!

Thanks again!

marvinpandroid

Hello Pool Clown

I took your advise, and went to "hire a pool side vacuum" except no ones provides this service..until now...ME lol lol
All my local pool suppliers did not know of anyone that offers pool side vacuum services. Now when the winds hit
65 MPH + it will put a smile on my face, and a couple of dollars in my pocket (gonna offer glass bead lime removal also).
Still getting hit with Hurricane class winds (my roofer regrets giving me the 1 yr warranty, on his repairs)
I do have an error code at my spa side keypad. will remove the spa from the system and get back to you.
Here are a few recent pic's. Looks like someone else has benefited from your knowledge, good to see.

Attachments

• Pool Vac.jpg
    Pool Vac.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 328
  • dust bowl.jpg
    dust bowl.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 331
  • dust bowl-2.jpg
    dust bowl-2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 328
lol Yes that is the PowerHouse fire. They evacuated everyone about a mile away from me. 65+ mile MPH winds had that fire traveling at us fast. I have a Kubota and always give myself a huge fire break every year. lol I had to deal with ash in my pool also (my landscape loves the ash though). As for the starters fee....funny you should mention that...I was giving that some thought, even before you mentioned it ...If you have any friends in the Lancaster, Palmdale area (hurricane zone #1 we'll call it lol ) they get a free Pool Vac on me. Just let me know who you would like to gift this to. Should this become as big as I think it could be. I will have to come up with something, to show my appreciation...provided that I am not killed in a Hurricane ...or Fire LMAO. Thank You :-D

OK pulled the top panel, found the red wire was disconnected. Re-connected, did a reset.
But still recieving "there was an error retrieving the data" code. will test continuity.
Just double checking This is the wires I want to be checking correct?

Did you find the source of the problem? I'm getting the same data retrieval error. I checked the wire connections at both the indoor and outdoor locations but didn't find a problem.

LMAO Hope you are still around...although there are 21 fires in Ca. ..none are around me..yet. OK I am not comfortable doing a continuity test...so I just made a 4 foot jumper, and removed the control unit inside my house, and jumped it straight to the board poolside...still getting the same error messages...wire is not the problem.
I drained the pool and glass beaded the tile...and the landscaping has grow in...lol lol

Ended up being a bad board...had it repaired for $150 getting ready to install right now...way better than $1200 + ..OUCH !!
Installed...Works perfect...$150 return shipping included in the price..."F" Yeah !!!!
BP Engineering ( Santa Rosa, CA )... He Rocks !!!
He called me to make sure the error code, was one he could fix..probably 98% of the problems are the same.

Last edited:
I want to thank you guys. After reading threads like this I was able to diagnose my problem as a bad realy. A few minutes on Amazon and a day later I had part in hand. I swapped out the bad relay and am back up and running. You guys rock!!!!!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.