SWG recommendations

Mar 24, 2013
Hi Folks,
I’m new to the forum but have been searching around the forum for a week or so and I have a few questions.
We live in Central Florida and have a pebble-tech pool (tiny pebbles imbedded in cement), it’s approximately 20K gallons. I’m looking to install a SWG, my local pool company has been telling me to get a Hayward Aqua-Rite, but it looks like there are a few issues with these. From what I’ve read it looks like the Compu pool and CircuPool are close to the same products under two different names, but they look like pretty decent units. Is there a discernible difference between the two other than the price? Are there any other reliable SWG you all would recommend? Also what size (.lbs per day) would you all recommend using for a pool of this size in Florida?
Also I’m interested in perhaps putting together a system that is expandable to control the PH level as well, are there any recommendations you all would like to make that incorporate the SWG and have the ability to add-on a PH leveling system?
Thanks in advance!

The Circupool is a Compupool with a few extra bells and whistles. We haven't received many complaints on either.

You can install a pH controller that's independent of the swg, but if you want it incorporated you may want to look at one of the more automated units like the Autopilot or Pentair units.

Right, need to keep the sizing in mind, thanks for the input.
How difficult is it to install an acid pump (timer, metering device?) and what is needed? Seems like that might be all you would need given the propensity for the SWG to increase Ph.

Many of us swg users on here get by without needed to lower ph very often. This is accomplished by keeping our TA down below 80 ppm. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

If you have water features that constantly aerate like waterfalls or jets, then you may need an acid dispenser. But if not, then a acid dispenser is likely not needed.

Hey thanks linen I read the water balance for SWG, but I do have two waterfalls that are a part of the normal filtration process. On my previous pool I had kept my stabilizer level around 70-80, but still had high ph, and I only had one waterfall on that pool. That's the reason I thought about the acid dispenser, you have any suggestions on a reliable system?

Thanks in advance.

Stenner peristaltic pumps are ideal for acid injection. Combine one with a timer that can be set by the minute and you have a close to ideal system.

The need for such a system varies. If you have high TA fill water or plan to run the waterfalls several hours every day then an acid injection pump is a good idea. If fill water TA is low and you only run the waterfall now and then you can balance your levels to greatly reduce or eliminate PH increases.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.