skimmer leaking from ice build up

aliso

May 14, 2012
My above ground pool has ice on the cover and in the skimmer. Water is now leaking out from the bottom of the skimmer basket and it looks like its leaking out from under the skimmer opening running down the side of my pool. I put a cover over the skimmer so i didn't have to drain my pool. Should i try to get the ice out of the skimmer to see if it is still going to leak from the bottom of the skimmer opening?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I' in south hero, VT. The suns been out today and around 40 degrees. I melted the ice in the skimmer and now it looks like water is trickling in from the inside of the pool through the skimmer. Non stop drip. I have some ice on the pool cover that is starting to get a little slushy. I wonder why the water is coming through the skimmer. Maybe its just not on tight enough???

I don't remember the name of the cover i put on but it was just a square plastic piece that just snapped on the inside of the skimmer. I did lower my water below the skimmer when i was closing the pool but when i put my pool cover on it was too small. It had a lot of space between the pool water and the cover so i raised my water level back up so the cover would sit on the water. This is why i used the cover to put over my skimmer. I do have quite a bit of ice and slush on the cover now so i cant lift the cover to check the face plate screws to see if they are tight. I'm hoping this isn't to heavy. I don't want my cover to fall into the pool as it is stretched to its limit. Do you have to buy a pool cover that is a lot bigger than the size of your pool if you want to lower the water level below the skimmer because mine was wayyyyyy to small to be able to do that.

aliso said:
Do you have to buy a pool cover that is a lot bigger than the size of your pool if you want to lower the water level below the skimmer because mine was wayyyyyy to small to be able to do that.
My experience has been that most covers listed for a certain pool size are too small, so yes over-sizing is usually necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.