I Used Marlig Liquid Fix-a-Leak

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
I have / had a small underground suction side leak between my skimmer and my pump that has needed attention for some time, the pool would only loose water when the pump was off, and a little air would get into the pump while it was running. Well lately this small leak has been turning into a medium sized leak, and before breaking down and jack hammering up the concrete I decided to try this magic in a bottle product. I don't know if it will work yet, but here is what I have done so far, according to the directions for this product when using in suction lines you must disconnect the pump and replumb them so they can be pressurized. This product can also clog pool filters so care must be taken when using.

First I disconnected the pool pump and capped off the suction side pipe stub, then I drained the pool down to about 2 inches below the skimmer using an engine powered water pump, once the water was below the skimmer I could see the leak was more serious than I had thought, as the water in the skimmer basket was dropping by about an inch per minute. Once the pool water level was safely below the skimmer I added about 1/3 of the bottle of the Mar-Lig Fix a leak to the skimmer, and pressurized the line to force the liquid through the leak using a small submersible pump to draw water from the pool and pump it into a garden hose to which I attached a home made PVC pipe / rubber hose attachment which fit into the skimmer vacuum port. After about 5 minutes I removed the hose as the seal was not as good as I would like and the skimmer basket holder was starting to fill up with water. I was somewhat surprised to find that this water was not dropping as fast as it was earlier so I let it sit for a few minutes. 15-20 minutes later the water had only dropped about an inch, so I added some more water filling the basket holder up just in case the leak was in the skimmer housing, an hour later this level had only dropped by about 1/8 of an inch, and held there, we will see what it looks like in the morning. If all is still looking good I will wait about 48 hours (per the instructions) before flushing out the excess and reconnecting the pump. So only time will tell if this stuff really does work, but it is certainly cheap enough to try given the alternative.

Ike

I will keep everyone updated, I had zero measurable water loss in the strainer over night so it looks like the hole may be plugged for now, we will see if it holds up once I flush it out and suction is applied tomorrow.

Ike

Well I flushed out the suction line and applied a little pressure to it today and the patch seems to be holding. I did run into one little issue though, I had used a rubber stepped adapter from an old suction side cleaner to adapt the pressure line from my pressurizing pipe fitting which was connected to my submersible pump to the socket in the skimmer which I accidentally left in the skimmer while the Fix a Leak cured, the side effect was gluing the rubber adapter into the skimmer vacuum socket. This took a few minutes of prying and pulling to free, but thankfully it came out. I do not have suction hooked back up yet, since I ordered a new pool pump yesterday off ebay I see no need to reconnect the old cracked /leaking one just to replace it again in a couple of days. With luck the new pump will arrive before the weekend, and I will get it installed, until then I will keep an eye on water level in the skimmer and use my engine powered water pump to stir the water if needed.

Ike

Well I ended up with a slow leak after the flush so reapplied another dose. Flushed it out Friday evening, no leak by Saturday so I installed the new pump and all has been running good for the last 24 hours. Will update if leak comes back.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds neat. I think I have a suction side leak as I am getting a lot of little air bubbles in my pump basket when it is running. I closed off each skimmer individually and the air still comes in so I assume it is downstream of the skimmers. I do not lose any water whatsoever though, so I assume it is a really small leak. Sad part is I just had all the plumbing replaced underground while a new patio was being put in. They didn't pressure check the lines after they were laid since the patio was being put down and they were putting in a new liner. Looks like I dropped the ball on this one, I just hope I don't have to pull the patio up to repair a leak in a new line! They just finished the patio today!

Hopefully you will find the problem is above ground (pump gasket, plug, fitting etc.) or the liquid fix a leak will work for you too and it is not something that requires a jack hammer to fix, I had one of those a couple of years ago, whoever installed the lines on my pool 30+ years ago used a drain pipe elbow fitting on the return line which eventually blew out at the corner of the shallow end of the pool, thankfully it was in a small 4x4 ft section of concrete with expansion joints all the way around, and not one of the larger slabs.

Well, at least we now have a reference for future questions about it. Thanks for stepping up and experimenting and documenting the failure.

I didn't have high hopes for it when I first saw this thread. In the automotive world, I've yet to see any stop-leak product work permanently.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Isaac-1 said:
Hopefully you will find the problem is above ground (pump gasket, plug, fitting etc.) or the liquid fix a leak will work for you too and it is not something that requires a jack hammer to fix, I had one of those a couple of years ago, whoever installed the lines on my pool 30+ years ago used a drain pipe elbow fitting on the return line which eventually blew out at the corner of the shallow end of the pool, thankfully it was in a small 4x4 ft section of concrete with expansion joints all the way around, and not one of the larger slabs.
This won't make you feel any better about your leak, but you were right. My leak was at one of the fittings. Tightened it up and no more bubbles.

Maybe this was not as much of a failure as I thought, I found that about half of my suction side leak was coming from the drain plug on the new pump, it was not dripping when the pump was off, but the amount of air getting into the basket cut in half when I tightened it today. So I think I will give it one more try and see if I can get this now small below ground suction side leak sealed.

Ike

One more update on this continuing saga, I did treat the line one more time with the fix-a-leak, and the leak has been slowed considerably, it is still there, but is manageable now (water loss to the leak when the pump is off is about 25-50% of the loss to evaporation when the pump is on). For now I am just setting my pump so it runs on low more hours per day, and will plan on fixing it right after the swim season this year.

Thanks for the update. I have been on TFP for about a week. Starting BBB process and emptied about 30% of my pool to get fresh water. I had a few settlement cracks I skimmed with Leslie's plaster cement. You get 3 minutes to get your work done ona batch cause it sets fast and works well.

I think I may have a leak. I did a Google search on Fix A Leak and found this thread! LOL!

I have a concrete in-ground pool. I always get leaks at the skimmer where the concrete/plaster meets the skimmer PVC. I probably need to rebuild it. I have that putty cement for that. I may try Fix A Leak.

I think most leaks in inground pools are usually at the skimmer or the PVC piping at the pump.

One thing you might want to check - the pressure in the new pump may be higher than normal. If I vacuum and the filter cartridge gets dirty/full, the Hayward fiberglass filter container may start leaking due to high pressure and because I did not seal it tight enough.

A late update, I did one more round of fix a leak treatment a couple of weeks after the last one mentioned above and it fully stopped the leak, I am now at 6+ months out and no more suction side leak. Even at $50 - 60 for a couple of bottles, and the hassle of capping off and pressurizing suction side plumbing it was well worth it when the alternative involved jack hammers.

Ike

Thanks for the update. I have a big bottle. It is almost always in my skimmer. Whenever I get concerned taht water may be leaking, I put less than a capful in the skimmer area. Mix it around with my hand and leave it for 48 hours. Seems to do the trick. The stuff is a lifesaver.

A late update, I did one more round of fix a leak treatment a couple of weeks after the last one mentioned above and it fully stopped the leak, I am now at 6+ months out and no more suction side leak. Even at $50 - 60 for a couple of bottles, and the hassle of capping off and pressurizing suction side plumbing it was well worth it when the alternative involved jack hammers.

Ike
Still no leak after all these years or did you end up replanning? Great info btw.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.