ReSurfacing pool and TABLE, HELP ME Please

Hello, Arizona here. I am new to this site and I will introduce myself in the other section very soon. I have spent the last few days reading and reading all the wonderful information on this site both problems and solutions. Thank you to all who contribute. I already have learned more in the past couple of days than I knew in my past 10 years of pool ownership.

From what I have been reading and the few pictures I have seen. I have already decided not to have the contractor put the Blue Dye (tint? color?) into the white plaster. I did choose to have the quartz added for strength and longer lasting.

I am so frustrated at the Pool Plastering Contractor who is replastering my Gunite Pool. After the Proposal was signed which is what they use as their contract. I was told I need to have someone do a Start-Up after the pool is filled $$$$. Then they chipped out the old plaster and told me, I need to replace my light $$$$, then I was told my table needs replacing $$$$. I would think as Pool Plastering Contractors in business for many years, they would know to check these things ahead of time before quoting a price and having me signing. I'm afraid of what else might come up.

Here is my current problem, my (48" x 32" x 4") tile table (1" Mosiac Tiles) which are on a matching center pedestal has started to rust through the bottom of the top (Rebar). I am told I have to replace it. Photo's at the end of this message.

Here are my questions:

1) Is there away to stop the rebar from rusting and seal the bottom of the table?
If so any idea how long that lasts? Or am I asking for a bigger headache?

OR

2) If I have them remove the top of the table and have them leave the pedestal which they said they can do. Can they remove the 1" tiles off the pedestal and plaster it to match the rest of the resplastering they are going to do? Do you think this will be an extra charge also?

and lastly,

3) Does anyone have any suggestions for replacing a table in a pool without it costing me another big chunk of change. I'm ready to just say take the table out and I'll go without one.

I have a million questions, but these are the immediate ones for now. All replies are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Not so HappyPool

Attachments

• 1-IMG_0021.JPG
    1-IMG_0021.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 1-IMG_0035.JPG
    1-IMG_0035.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 1-IMG_0037.JPG
    1-IMG_0037.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 127
Welcome to TFP!

There are often problems they can't see until they start chipping out plaster. That doesn't mean that is what happened, but it is very plausible.

There are various ways to partially seal the rebar, which will slow down the reappearance of rust, but there is no way to permanently fix it without making the table top quite a bit thicker, and it is probably easier to replace it entirely.

It is certainly possible to remove the tile from the pedestal and plaster over that area, and it isn't really all that much extra work. I wouldn't expect them to charge extra, but they do have the right to.

Tables like that one are kind of rare and considered special features. Replacing it is likely to be expensive.

I can't believe it, today the contractor came back and said it can be repaired no problem, no charge. They are going to grind it down a little and put some plumbers glue in it to seal it. 3 days of frustration and stress for nothing. Why doesn't the plasterer come out instead of a sales person the first time around? At least now I am at ease about the table. (I hope)

Back to the colored plaster, if the start-up is done properly and all the dust (fluff) is gone and I clean my filter after the fluff and keep the chemicals balanced properly. What are chances of motteling happening. I really like the darker blue by Spectra-Quartz called Laguna Blue, but I'm so nervous about the motteling. Any opinions?

Thank You in advance for replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.