Need Help

Mar 24, 2013
I recently replaced my 2hp Hayward in October with a 3hp Hayward. Everything was going great. Then yesterday I was out working in the yard and the motor started making noise and then breaker tripped and would work again. Motor on the pump was super hot. Took the motor back cause it was under warranty and got a new one and put it in and hooked it up and it was running perfect. Then I went to shut it off at the timer and it wouldn't work. The only way to turn it off was with the breaker. Also the GFI outlet in the timer box will not reset. It is tripped. Replaced GFI outlet and still want work. Now the breaker to the pump keeps tripping. It ran for about 15 minutes and then trips. Any suggestion or help. Thanks in adance.

Welcome to TFP!

GFI outlets are not normally rated to handle the power draw of a 3 HP motor, depending on the timer that might be too much power for the timer as well.

Which specific model of pump do you have and how many amps is the breaker rated for?

By the by, I would be very surprised if you actually want to have a 3 HP pump. That is too large for all but the most extreme residential situations.

Its a 3HP heyward tristar. My pool is 40k gallons. The 3hp was working in the pool since October but then the bearings went out or porpeller froze.. not sure it was under warranty so I took it back. The gfi is a 20amp. Thanks for your help.

My pool is 40k plus spa waterfall. It originaly came with 2hp. Heyward filter system. Of course I am at work and don't have the exact info. It has the 1 big round filter and 1 tall skinny one. I had the 2hp prior to switching to 3 HP. I figured it would help improve the in floor cleaning. Do u suggest I go back to the 2hp and that will probably fix the problem?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.