Huge Black stain in deep end bowl

keene3b07

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 9, 2011
Got a pool that sat for well over a year with nothing but disgusting water in it. Eventually most of the water evaporated and left a huge black stain in the deep end of the pool, as well as dark yellow stains all through the rest of the surface about halfway up the walls. Muriatic acid lightens the yellow stuff, but it is not touching the black stuff. Is there anything that can be done to get rid of the stain?

That sounds like heavy organic staining. I would try resting a trichlor tablet on a stained area for half an hour and see what effect that has. If trichlor helps, you can keep the pool at shock level for a few days, or at worst weeks, to clean up the stain. If the trichlor does nothing, we will have to try some other approach.

it is gunite. The pool is empty right now. Would putting the tablet on the stain be more effective than pouring liquid on it and letting that sit? the only reason i ask is because i have already tried letting liquid chlorine sit on it

So I assume you are saying the chlorine had no affect.

There are two types or stains....organic and inorganic.

Those stains respond to either muriatic acid (inorganic) or chlorine (organic)

Your stain WILL respond to one of those two chemicals. Perhaps you are not concentrating it enough?

I wonder if it isn't a deeply embedded iron stain? Red rust can be turned into black iron oxide - like the finish on chisels and drill bits - with certain acids. That's what Naval Jelly does. The yellow stains might have been rust, and some genius might have tried pouring some rust remover into the pool.

I have no solution to offer, unfortunately.

I probably ought to clarify. The Acid lightened the staining of the yellow areas, not very good but it definitely lightened it. The black staining in the very bottom though was not fazed by anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.