We didn't close last year! HELP!

Mar 24, 2013
We didn't close our above ground pool at the end of summer last year and now our pool is gross! We've talked about draining, bleaching, shocking and just scrubbing the walls and floor until their clean. Any suggestions on what we can do? We're putting our house up for sell soon so we have to do something ASAP!

You will still want to go through the shock process (see Pool School button at upper right) after you refill to ensure that everything is dead and will not turn the pool green again.

Even though you are moving out, it would be easiest to keep the pool clear by following the recommended pool levels in Pool School. Specifically adding CYA so that the FC is not consumed by the sun very quickly.

I wouldn't drain it because the liner could shift, move or shrink n cause a lot more problems than just shocking it n raking the bottom for leaves. Pool School for you! :)

Growing up, our cover ripped and my dad decided to leave the pool uncovered one winter. Water was almost black when we drained it. Scrubbed down the sides with soft scrub (or something similar from the 80's) and rags, hosed out and drained again, the refilled. Never had any issues and so my dad decided that was cheaper than buying a new cover I guess because that became the norm for a few years. I definitely suggest a complete drain/clean/rinse/refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.