Pump suggestions for roof mounted solar?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
I am in the process of adding 11 4x12 solar panels to the roof of my pool house, and as chance would have it it looks like I will need to replace my current pump due to a hairline crack in the housing, so I am looking for thoughts on models of pumps to consider, ability to work well with the added backpressure from the solar panels would be a plus.

any thoughts?

thanks Ike

How tall is the roof? How far is the plumbing run before going up to the roof? For a single story, just about anything will work.

What is the service factor on your existing 1.5 hp pump?

I run my solar with the smaller 1hp 2-speed with a good 50' run of 1.5" pipe before going up to the roof.

I would suggest a 2 speed and likely a 1 hp would be fine ... cheaper to buy and run than a larger pump ... assuming you have no high water flow needs.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Roof height is about 12 feet to the edge, top edge of panels would probably go up another 3 or so feet, it is a shallow pitched roof, I would estimate total pipe distance from the pump to the cold side feed point on the panel banks as about 65-70 feet. Optimum flow for these panels requires 54GPM through the panels, note all my plumbing is 1.5 inch also, base flow restriction with my current pump and clean filter is around 10 PSI with no solar (old solar came down last year when the roof was replaced). I may have this wrong, but my understanding is that 10 psi of pressure is equal to about 25 feet of head, therefore when the filter is dirty it will allow a rise to about 20 psi, or just under 50 feet of total head, the Hayward specs show the 1.5HP Super Pump show it flows 53GPM at 50 feet of head, so any loss to flow restrictions in the panels would already likely put it at below the optimal 54 GPM of flow. By comparison a quick google search shows a chart of your 1HP SuperFlo will provide nearly the same 50 something GPM at 50 ft of head, and the 1.5HP SuperFlo will provide around 70GPM. Oddly enough though my 1.5HP Super Pump greatly outperforms your pump when we reduce the head to 20 FT, providing 83 GPM vs only about 65 for the 1HP SuperFlo and about 70 for the 1.5 SuperFlo. So perhaps based on your real world experience as well as the specs I should put the SuperFlo on my short list.

Ike

Estimating the flow rate is not as simple as just the filter pressure. Mark has a way to estimate the headloss flow rate in the system using the pressure and plumbing details.

So your plumbing is already installed for an old system ... Same as mine was. Otherwise I would have suggested going with bigger pipe.

Your run and roof sound similar to mine, so would guess the superflo would work. Although may want to see if Mark can run the numbers for you.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

The filter is a Hayward Perflex DE style filter with a "bump handle" the instructions for it say to bump it when there is a 10 psi rise (this is often done at around 8 psi in the real world, to avoid exceeding 10 psi), it then lowers back down towards the base pressure, but never all the way to it, repeat, until it does not drop back, or gets back to the 10 psi over base quickly. At this point it is time to clean and recoat the tubes with DE. As a result when I have freshly coated tubes my base back pressure after bumping is around 9 psi, however this base pressure may rise by a few psi (say up to 12-13 psi after numerous bump cycles) before it is time to recoat again. Therefore I am searching for a pump motor that will provide enough flow not only when I have a freshly coated set of DE tubes, but also when they are partly clogged just before it is time to bump or recoat again.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.