inground pump help

Apr 25, 2011
I apoligize if this is a stupid question in advance but I need some help.

I have an 18 x 36 inground pool, Heldor I think, and it's about 24k gallons by my estimation. It came with the house so I don't know alot about it. Anyway it was installed I think in the mid 90s. It has a richardson industries EZ Flo pump rated at 3/4 hp. 1.5 inch pipes and I don't see any reducers anyplace so I assume all the piping is that diameter from the original install. Last year the pump was very loud and I think it's on the way out. A 2 speed pump sounds like it would be nice but there aren't many 3/4 hp 2 speeds and I keep seeing 2 inch piping.

Does a 2 speed pump make sense if it's just 3/4 hp? Also I see higher rated pumps mentioned alot, is my pump under sized? I normally don't run the pump much but last year I did run it more then normal. Years past it just ran when in use, vacuuming, or with chemical additions. Last year I ran it more often.

So if you were going to replace this pump what would you go with? I'm in Maine, so electricity isn't as bad as CA and the pool is open April to Oct. No heaters or anything else. Just the sand filter. So it's not like I need alot of HP to run stuff.

Since you will most likely run most of the time on low, no. On high the superflo draws slightly more current then you current pump (6.0 amps verses 5.5 amps) but the flow rate should still be fine.

Thinking about this a little more, you could consider just upgrading the motor to a 2-speed.

Also, after looking at your pump brand it appears it might be a re-labeled hayward super II pump. It looks like hayward makes a 1.5 hp uprated 2-speed super II (SP3010X152AZ) [s:3lno9iau]that appears equivalent to the 3/4 hp full rated single speed[/s:3lno9iau]. It might allow you to replace without changing any pipe.

Edit: see my following post

Thanks for the help. The pump itself has a union on the input side and it has flexible pvc from pump to the filter, so piping should not be hard. That will be handy if I just replace the motor as well. Everything is in a shed and I don't have alot of clearance behind the pump, so I'm not sure if I have the room to remove the motor or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.