calcium hypochlorite and calcium hardness

Apr 27, 2012
Hello,
For the last year I've been using unstabilized calcium hypochlorite to sanitize my pool. Initially I was using liquid chlorine, but switched to calcium hypochloride granules for convenience. However, after using this for a year or so I've noticed that my calcium hardness is at around 1000ppm. I understand that it's difficult to reduce this number without draining some water from the pool, but I'm curious as to whether anyone has had success using any other method. After googling and reading these forums I've heard of people reducing their calcium hardness with various degrees of success, but I'm seeing mixed information about the side effects of using water softeners and whatnot.

Additionally, would you guys recommend that I stop using calcium hypochloride? I have been considering switching back to liquid chlorine, but it's less convient due to the limited shelf life and higher cost.

I appreciate any advice that anyone has, thanks in advance!

but I'm curious as to whether anyone has had success using any other method.
Not really. Draining is about the only available option. (unless you live in So Cal....tell us your city and state).

CH of 1000 is quite high and requires very careful control of pH and TA to prevent scaling. I would bite the bullet and drain half or more of your pool. 250 - 400 ppm is what we typically suggest.

If you continue to use Cal Hypo, the problem will only increase, despite it's convenience.

duraleigh beat me, but here is my 2 cents...
supermoof said:
After googling and reading these forums I've heard of people reducing their calcium hardness with various degrees of success, but I'm seeing mixed information about the side effects of using water softeners and whatnot.
Draining and refiling is really the only proven way to reduce it. You may have read on here that some people in areas with high evaporation rates combined with high CH fill water instead use rain water to slowly reduce there CH levels by replacing pool water with rain water (pump out water before the storm then replace with rain water collected from a roof). What is your fill water CH?

supermoof said:
Additionally, would you guys recommend that I stop using calcium hypochloride? I have been considering switching back to liquid chlorine, but it's less convient due to the limited shelf life and higher cost.
Yes, you are only asking for problems using that much having that high a CH level due to the use of the calhypo. Liquid chlorine/bleach is a better solution, it only adds salt, which is absolutely not a problem for a pool. Most people buy enough LC/bleach to last a few weeks so that it does not loose much before use. Another option for you could be a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG).

I'm not sure what the ground water level is, but based on the area it's probably relatively high. I'm not confident enough to do this myself so I'll find a reputable pool company anyway. When ground water level is high, how do you prevent the pool from floating?

Generally, partial drains and refills are used then though this ends up using more water. Others have added slowly from one end and removed at the same rate from the other end (or from the floor drain) of the pool to reduce mixing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.