Pool water runoff into vegetable garden-concern?

Mar 23, 2013
I bought a house last summer with an inground SWG pool, approximately 30' X 16' depth 3-9', has a sand filter. The backwash drains into a sunken area of the yard, which I was planning on making into a vegetable garden. I was wondering if any of the chemicals used in pool maintenance would be of concern for soil/plant contamination, or if I should extend the drain pipe past this area-about 15 feet.

Last summer, once the pool was brought into proper chemistry after sitting for 8 months while the house was empty, I only had to add one bag of salt and two bottles of bleach when the SWG went down due to a burnt out resistor (thanks for the cheap fix tip!). It is a vinyl liner, no kids in the pool though occasionally dogs, and gets full sun. Debris is cleaned out daily. No problems with algae or scaling. I tested the water weekly, and the pool essentially maintained the chemistry standards recommended by pool school.

The pool is currently closed for winter, will ask the pool company what they used in the pipes or if they were just blown out. I do not use the pool company for service during pool season, just for the opening and closing for this first year. I personally try to avoid harsher chemicals if there are more environmentally friendly options, so have been very happy with the recommendations on this website!

Thanks in advance,
Jodi
Newnan, GA

Welcome to TFP!

I would extend the pipe beyond that area if you want to plant a vegetable garden. Nothing in pool water is toxic at the levels they occur at in pool water, but plants can concentrate the chemicals enough to present a small risk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.