Newly plastered pool does not look right

Mar 22, 2013
My frirst pool. This pool was plastered mid Jan 2013 . It is now March 22 and plaster doesn't look right. My Pool builder says its normal , but something doesn't sound right.

Pool plaster supposed to be medium gray, currently it looks very spotty and streaky.
Any input on if this is normal , sign of water chemistry issues or bad plaster job.

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0510.JPG
    tn_IMG_0510.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 547
  • tn_IMG_0518.JPG
    tn_IMG_0518.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 492
  • tn_IMG_0509.JPG
    tn_IMG_0509.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 482
No, that doesn't look right to me.. What kind of finish is it... Diamond Brite, Quartz, Pebble Tech? I'd get another "official" opinion.

Did they acid wash your pool? Post your chemical test results too - maybe your CH is off or the TA. There are lots of smart people here that can help - I'm a newbie like you - with a major leak in my new pool. :shock:

I am a super newbie, too, but I have been doing a lot of reading, especially about grey pools since that is what I want. From what I have read here, grey plaster has a real tendency to mottle and show very uneven color. From what I see here, it is just to be expected with grey. Now, someone who has way more smarts than me can tell you if that is outside the realm of normal mottling.

When the plaster crew was doing the plaster they used propane burner , I do not believe any acid wash was used. My PB told us to leave th e pool alone and for 3 days after plaster. He then added ~1/2 gallon of muriatic acid , and bottle "magic stuff". He told us to brush pool twice a day for 7days and vacuum it daily to get plaster dust out.
I don't believe any test or chemical were done two weeks following his visit. About the 4th week he came by to drop off some more pool things , add/ed the other 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid , at this point salt was added. And we got our pool test kit. Next few weeks ph was high 8+ , keep adding 1/2 gallon of acid (2 gallons worth over a week time frame), checking PH everyday 1/2 only kept PH down for 1 day by 3'rd day its back to 8+ .

At this point went back to pool store for refill of Acid and got them to test my water , PH was high 8 , TA 90, CH - 200, Salt 2900. PH kept going up, added more acid, today TA test showed ~70, Added 2lbs of TA up.

Been reading pool school to try to balance the chem.

I have the exact same issue with my plaster, in fact, your pictures look like it could be my pool. I was told it would start to fade after awhile, but it never did. I have had my pool exactly one year. I did finally get a good test kit and my calcium is through the roof. I live in the Austin area out in the hill country where the water is very hard. Sorry I do not have any suggestions, but wanted to let you know you are not alone and I am very curious what feedback you get.

In my opinion, that is not normal mottling, and I highly doubt that the color will improve and darken over time and become more even and consistent.

There can be several reasons for new dark colored plaster jobs to lighten and become uniformly whitish, or become whitish in streaked, splotchy or mottled patterns.

Generally, if gray or black plaster turns uniformly whiter, then it is probably due to water chemistry issues - perhaps during start-up period (first month), or during the following months. If pH goes above 8.4, (and depending on the TA and CH), a likely uniform whitening (due to scale) may occur. If it is white scale, a simple hand sanding with 100 grit sandpaper will remove the whiteness immediately. Also, a plastic bottle with diluted (50/50) acid and squirted on the plaster surface (under water) will also remove recently scaled plaster on new pools. If the whitish areas are not removed in that manner, then the following issues may be involved.

If the pool is filled with very soft (aggressive) water, that can dissolve and etch cement material off the surface. That will slightly lighten the color of dark plaster jobs. An acid start-up will do the same thing.

Another cause of whitening of gray plaster is due to adding calcium chloride to the plaster mix. And understand that there are usually several batches of plaster during the plastering of a pool. Therefore, one batch of plaster can have more calcium chloride added than in other batches.

Another cause can be from improper troweling procedures, such as adding too much water while troweling and forcing that water into the cement surface. That will skew the water to cement ratio in various or localized areas. When that is the case, it causes a non-uniform whitening, or in other words, it causes streaking, splotchiness, and various forms of mottling.

Lastly, if the plasterer actually use a propane torch to dry and harden the plaster during a cold winter day, that could also cause a light colored mottling effect in those areas. Not a good thing to do!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the feed back. Talk to the PB he said the plaster looked normal (which I don't really buy). Asked if I can see other pools he has done with the same color plaster, of course he said yes but I have yet to hear back from him.

jblizzle said:
While, that may not be a normal looking plaster job ... if the "smokiness" was fairly uniform throughout and not just in certain areas ... I kind of like the marble look :hammer:

me too..

After much deliberation and finger pointing (between plaster guys and our pool contractor) it has been concluded that it was poor startup. Now waiting for them to drain the pool and do an acid wash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.