Rose Garden Newbie

Paul Hastings

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 16, 2013
San Jose, CA
After a couple unsuccessful tries, my wife and I retired, sold our home of 30+ years, downsized and moved to our "urban cottage" in San Jose. It's an old two story home with a beautiful backyard pool, neither of which we have ever owned before. I have it inspected and the evaluation was that everything except the SWG was in pretty good shape.

After about a year of noodling the pool's operation, I have a couple questions I'd like some help with.

The original gunite pool was installed in 1957. I'm told that sometime in the 1990s the pool was upgraded with new plaster, coping, and decking, plumbing, solar, SWG and other equipment. After we moved in I replaced the water--Ca was off the charts--and installed a new SWG. I do my own maintenance and verify my water chemistry tests with the local Leslie's. I have two irritating problems:

First, there are LOTS of bubbles coming into the pool from the return ports when solar is on. I'm told that it's probably--not verified--sucking air through the second story relief valve, because the 1 hp pump simply can't move enough water to keep the upper coils and water column full. If that's the case, I'm probably not getting full heat gain from the coils on top. Sounds reasonable, but the solution is a new pump. Anyone had a similar problem? How was it fixed?

Second, if I replace the existing pump with Pentair Intelliflo, I want to be able to have the solar controller set the pump speed based on whether or not water's being pumped to the coils. We have our share of overcast skies and cool days when I don't want to run water thru the solar. At these times, I want the pump to run at minimum speed required for filtering. Pentair seems to have a couple controller options that look to be able to do this speed control. Anyone have experience with their Solarcomm, or Compro controllers doing this?

Finally, I need to integrate control of the Polaris and is boost pump with the Intelliflo. Right now, both pumps are controlled by two rotary timers. Again, any suggestions?

Thanks for the help,

Paul

Welcome to tfp, Paul :wave:

Paul Hastings said:
First, there are LOTS of bubbles coming into the pool from the return ports when solar is on. I'm told that it's probably--not verified--sucking air through the second story relief valve, because the 1 hp pump simply can't move enough water to keep the upper coils and water column full. If that's the case, I'm probably not getting full heat gain from the coils on top. Sounds reasonable, but the solution is a new pump. Anyone had a similar problem? How was it fixed?
Another possibility is a leak in the piping/joints up near the top on the return plumbing.

One thought comes to mind... What type of filter do you have and when do you clean it? A restricted filter can decrease flow and reduce the ability of the system to fully prime the panels. Are there the same amount of bubbles when the filter has just be cleaned?

Just after we moved in I had the roof replaced. The solar system was deinstalled and reinstalled. There were some initial pin hole water leaks that we plugged quite quickly. water leaks are really easy to spot because of the Ca deposits on the comp shingles. Thanks, I'll check the piping joints also, although there are no apparent leaks in the pipes & joints. I have a cartridge type filter (Pentair 420) w/ 4 large cartridges. I put in new ones last June and just cleaned them (pressure washed) a month ago. No change in bubbles. The pressure gauge on the filter has stayed pretty constant since I installed the new cartridges and before/after cleaning.

I had a manual valve installed in the solar return line that feed the pump. If I partially close the valve ( about 45 degrees) to create some flow restriction, the bubble decrease a lot. I've been hesitant to really crank down the flow for fear of damaging the pump.