Caretaker 99 in floor pool cleaning system giving me issues

Mar 21, 2013
First of all, my pool pump has ~30psi and that routes through the heater, chlorinator and ends at the caretaker head. By the time it gets there it is ~12psi. I think that is the main problem that I have. Should there be more pressure there? Is there anyway to get that higher?

Then, I have the five head system and each section has 4-5 heads on them. The heads don't fully pop-up as they would if they were out of the pool. Some sections work completely fine, while others (further from pump) don't really work well. They pop-up partially and get stuck up and sometimes don't rotate. I just replaced all of the heads on the pool this week and I'm having these issues (which was ~$1100).

Any thoughts or ideas or anything that can help fix my pool?? I'm hoping to get this working really well so the pool stays clean and I don't have to go buy a robot.

Re: Caretaker 99 in floor pool cleaning system giving me iss

Welcome to TFP!
Seems like the whole pressurized side of your filter should be at the same PSI...do both gauges go to zero when you turn off the pump?

It sounds like your heads aren't getting enough flow. 30 psi is pretty high. Can you tell use what size/kind of pump and filter you have? How does the water look? When was the filter last cleaned?

Welcome to TFP!!!

Could be a partial blockage between the chlorinator (keep reading here and you should realize why we do not recommend using these) and the caretaker head. Although it is pretty normal to have a pressure drop between the 2 gauges I think. What is the distance between them?

Could there a be a problem with the gears in the head that is not opening up each zone completely?

Most reports here are that these systems do not really keep the pool very clean. I had one a previous house and it was OK, but the dirt seemed to collect in a few places around the pool.

The dome is brand new so I assume its working correctly. There is probably 8 ft in total between the filter and the caretaker dome.

A bit of history would be useful:

Has the pressure ever been below 30 PSI?

Is 30 PSI the clean filter pressure (i.e. have you cleaned your filter recently)?

Has the in-floor ever worked properly?

I just bought the house. I am new to this stuff. But the filter was just taken apart and completely cleaned a month ago. So the filter is clean.

I really don't know if the in floor has ever functioned properly.

If it did not drop to zero, I would replace it and see if you are really at 30psi.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The gauge. There is no telling if it is reading correctly or not.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

One thing you should do is fill out your signature with your pool information so we don't have to keep asking a lot of questions. Help us help you.

Please list all of your equipment.

What type of filter do you have and can you put it into recirculate mode and does the pressure change when you do so?

What is your pump make/model#?

What is your plumbing size?

Yes, the equipment in the sig is helpful...not trying to nag, but it does eliminate the need to ask so many questions :)

Your problem is still not enough flow to the heads. Having the filter cleaned a month ago doesn't ensure that it's still clean, especially if you've had a lot of junk in the pool or had an algae outbreak.

Since you're new to owning a pool, when you have sometime take a read through pool school (big button in the upper right). It will teach you everything you need to know about pool chemistry, so you never end up getting ripped off at a pool store or endlessly fighting algae.

I live in TX and it's been cold so there really hasn't been a huge problem with algea. When the filter was completely clean, I set the dial on the pressure gauge. It's up ~2-3 psi since then.

A.O.Smith Pump 2HP, Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter 60 (for 60 sqft), Jandy Caretaker 5 port, MiniMax 400 pool heater, Rainbow chlorinator, Aqualink
Secondary pump for leaf trapper/fountain 1 HP on Hayward Cartridge Filter model C12002
Polaris 2 peak HP blower for spa

Thanks for posting that! If you have a multiport valve, try setting it to recirculate and see if that helps. That will eliminate the filter from the loop, so we can make sure that's not part of the problem.

I was thinking about this a little more. The pool also has a spa which overflows into the pool. I'm going to try to see if I can turn that down so that the pool is getting more of the flow.

quick follow up on my last comment: I don't think I have the control to stop the overflow. I'm actually not even sure where it comes from. There is a actuator that flips closed when the spa mode is on which stops the flow to the pool. I flipped it both ways and couldn't stop the overflow.

Redirecting water to the spa may be the cause of the problem. In-floors need a lot of pressure and flow so you may not be able operate other things at the same time.

Can you post a picture of your pad equipment?

There may be a bypass that is allowing water through to the spa even on pool mode.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.