Replacing pool pipes

Jan 8, 2013
Sydney, Australia
G'day!

We just bought a larger sand filter and are having a plumber modify the pipes to accommodate it.

My pool equipment is higher than the pool.

Does the following make sense?

I would like to have each section of pipe removable, basically using like a dozen unions?
I would like to add non return valves before the pump inlet and on the SWG outlet, just in case I get an air leak somewhere later (it happened before)?
I don't have a heater but should I factor in somehow adding one later, like a couple of tee fittings with valves after the SWG?
Should I put a valve on the waste just in case I get a tiny leak from the filter (it happened before), are there valves that will stop low pressure water but if its accidentally closed when I do a backwash it will open?

Thanks everyone.

Richard

1. Unions are not 100% reliable and I see no reason to have so many ... my pumps connects with unions and I did put some off the filter so that I can pull any piece of equipment off if needed. I guess I can not see the need for more than 5, and even that may would not see as needed.
2. I do not understand what you are saying
3. Just leave enough straight pipe that you could cut and add a Ts later if required
4. No valve like that that I know of. If you have a leak out of the waste, then you should fix the multivalve anyway or you may end up passing dirt back to the pool

2. Ah check-valve. Not usually a good idea on the suction side as it can result in entrapment problems. Also not sure why you would need it after the SWG. Sometimes they are needed between a heater and a SWG/chlorinator. Also good after the filter to prevent flow backward through the filter.

3. There are multiple ways to plumb in a heater, but again I would not do anything but ensure there is enough room to add the required Tees / valves at a later date.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.